Blackbeard 4 or 8 Hour Adventure Race 2014
Saturday, November 1, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (EDT)
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Aaaarrrrrrrrrgh Maties! Reports are that the ghost of the dreaded pirate Blackbeard has been pillaging and looting up and down the Outer Banks for years. If ye have enough courage, ye might find him and win the reward.
The Blackbeard Adventure Race will be offered as both a 4-hour and an 8-hour race in scenic Kill Devil Hills, Outer Banks, North Carolina. This exhilarating race includes mountain biking, trail running, kayaking, coasteering, and orienteering for over 25 combined miles for the Sport Class and 45 combined miles for the Elite Class. This "sprint" race, while challenging, is not as technical as many other races and is a good race for people new to the sport of Adventure Racing.
· Name: Blackbeard A.R.
· Date: November 1st, 2014
· National Qualifying Race: USARA Regional Qualifier, NAARS
· Race Check-In: Friday, October 31st, 2014 – 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Shutter's on the Banks hotel (405 S. Virginia Dare Tr. Kill Devil Hills, NC)
· Race Starts: Saturday, November 1st, 2014 – 8:00 AM
· Race Ends: Saturday, November 1st, 2013 – 4:00 PM
· Disclaimer: Start and end time depend on tides
· Distance: 25+ (Sport Class) or 45+ miles (Elite Class)
· Disciplines: Trekking, Orienteering, Mountain Biking, Ocean Paddling.Coasteering.
· Categories: Solo; 2-person, 3-person, 4-person (male, female, or coed)
· Included: Maps, clue sheets, race shirts, kayaks, paddles, PFD, awards, SWAG, a post-race celebration; one of the best endorphin fixes of your life!
· USARA Membership: Since this race is sanctioned by USARA all racers must either be current members of USARA (with proof of membership and membership #) or pay for a one day license at registration/check in. Please have cash on hand.
· Provided: Kayaks, paddles, PFDs, topographical map, race passport, clue sheet, race t-shirt.
- Mandatory Gear: hybrid or mountain bike, bike helmet, enough food, water for the entire race, fully charged cell phone in a waterproof case.
- Recommended Gear: rain jacket,first aide kit, compass, sunglasses, sunscreen, small knife, REALLY AWESOME pirate costume!!
- If you are missing mandatory gear or would like to purchase recommended gear please visit our online store.Use the code RACEAAS at checkout to save 10% off your purchase.
When & Where
American Adventure Sports
American Adventure Sports produces adventure sport platforms, manages a outdoor retail goods location and bicycle shop. Since 1997, American Adventure Sports has been producing some of the most extreme adventure races, triathlons, mountain biking, and trail running events. As founders of the East Coast Adventure Racing Series, AAS has quickly become one of the leading adventure racing producers in the nation.
In addition to our racing series, our professional adventure racing staff holds instructional adventure racing clinics, corporate wellness events, and the Junior Naturalist Outdoor Adventure Camp series.
American Adventure Sports has an outdoor retail location and bicycle shop in Greensburg, Pennsylvania (Address: 125 S. Pennsylvania Ave.). The location carries Mountain and Road bikes, Biking apparel, yoga, hiking, survival, camping, and adventure gear. A full bike repair shop is also within the store.