The race has begun. Cities around the globe are moving at full speed in the hopes of being named the leader in innovation. When the finish line is crossed, where do you hope to be? With more than $12,000 in prizes, this two-day hackathon will bring together developers, designers and entrepreneurs from all over Dubai to craft solutions for the future of digital payments.
This competition starts with you and your vision for Dubai; a city well renowned for paving the way in technology, and leader in civic growth. From transportation to recreation, Dubai is making a name for itself as the next smart city and deserves a secure payment platform of the same stature.
The Visa Digital Payments Challenge:
Your goal is to determine where digital payment solutions will have the most impact on the future of Dubai. Do you envision a full-system, payment analytics platform for a district employer? A loyalty program for a displaced laborer? Perhaps an authentication platform to prevent payment fraud for a city-wide organization? The solution will be up to you.
All you need to do is leverage at least one Visa Payment Method API to create a digital payment application.
The Mobile Connect API Challenge:
The Mobile Connect API provides a simple, secure and safe authentication solution. Use this API in your project and you could win a trip to Mobile World Congress and a chance to demo at Visa’s Innovation Center on Tuesday, November 29th.
Ideas to Think About:
Digital payments, mobile, security, and smart city.
- First Place: $4,500USD + chance to pitch at the Innovation Center Demo Day on Tues, November 29th.*
- Second Place: $3,500USD + chance to pitch at the Innovation Center Demo Day on Tues, November 29th.*
- Third Place: $2,500USD + chance to pitch at the Innovation Center Demo Day on Tues, November 29th.*
- Fourth Place: $1,500USD + chance to pitch at the Innovation Center Demo Day on Tues, November 29th.*
- Mobile Connect API Winner: An overall winning package worth up to $10,000, which includes an opportunity to attend and showcase your app in front of Global Blue-chip organizations and Mobile Operators at the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The prize includes 2 flights tickets plus accommodation and expenses
*To gain your prize, teams must attend the Tuesday event
- Teams of up to 5 participants are allowed. All team members must have completed the participation agreement to compete.
- We all start coding at the same time. This is done to keep things fair. Please don’t come in and build on top of previous projects if you want to win.
- You must demo your hack in order to present. No slide-decks or power-points will be allowed. 2 minute presentation 1 minute Q&A from Judges.
- Teams have full ownership of everything they build at our events and are free to do with it as they wish.
- Winning teams will be subject to a code-review at some point following the event or immediately before winning.
- Execution: How well put together was the project and the demo that was shown? (5 Points)
- Impact: Is the solution commercially viable? (5 Points)
- Creativity: How out of the box was the solution? (5 Points)
- Design: How well designed, including UX, UI and user flow, was the solution? (5 Points)
- API Use: 1pt for every viable use of either a Visa or Mobile Connect API. (5 points)
Wednesday November 23
6:30 pm: Pre-Hackathon Webinar (link)
Friday November 25
12:00 pm: Doors Open
1:45 pm: Opening Announcements
2:00 pm: Partner Talks
2:15 pm: 60sec Team Pitches
2:45 pm: Lunch
3:00 pm: Coding Begins
3:00 pm: Breakout Sessions Begin
7:30 pm: Dinner
12:00 am: Midnight Snack
12:00- 8:00am: Hack through the night*
*The venue will be open overnight if you want to hack through the night!
*There will be prayer facilities for both men and women if you would like to come prior to prayer on Friday.
Saturday, November 26
8:00 am: Breakfast
12:00 pm: Lunch
3:00 pm: Submission Deadline
4:00 pm: Demos Begin
5:00 pm: Judge Deliberation
5:30 pm: Awards & Closing Ceremony
Tuesday, November 29*
TBD: Demo Day at Visa Innovation Center in Dubai
*This event is only open and required for hackathon prize winners
In association with