Telescoping Box Weekend Workshop - Aikido Decatur
2 Sessions | All Levels | Price: $200 | Min 4 / Max 10 | Sat/Sun Jan 28/29, 10am-5pm
This is a two-day weekend workshop. We'll be meeting on Sat., Jan. 28th from 10am-5pm and again the next day on Sun., Jan. 29th from 10am-5pm.
Spend a fun weekend making a box base with a separate custom-fitted lid – the Telescoping Box! We’ll learn how to customize them for a variety of uses: storing pencils, art & craft supplies, trinkets, books, business cards, etc. A functional, yet decorative work of art, this box is made from 2-ply chipboard you measure and cut and covered with Japanese decorative papers: Kozo, Yuzen, and Lokta papers, as well as pages from vintage recycled books, maps, and prints.
We’ll also learn how to create custom sections as divided inner walls of your box.
We’ll take a break to eat lunch and by the end of class, you’ll be very proud of your first beautiful, strong and functional box(es).
Min. 4, max. 15 students.
We’ll take about an hour break each day to eat lunch somewhere in the city of Decatur (you may also bring your lunch) and by the end of class, you’ll be very proud of your first set of telescoping boxes! Anne’s workshops are meaningful, educational, enriching, and fun.
Anne will be bringing her dog Inga to the workshop. If you have a phobia or allergy, please let her know beforehand, so that everyone is comfortable.
This is an All Skill Level course.
Supplies provided by instructor:
• 4-ply chipboard measuring guide
• Wet Bookbinding Adhesive to use the 1st day of class. I will demonstrate how to prepare your own adhesive so that you can use yours the second day of class.
Supply list: (purchased separately by students.)
Many of these items can be purchased at Binders Art Supply in Buckhead or their Ponce City Market location. They give a 10% student discount and have a very helpful staff to help you find products.
Another source for supplies is Paper Source in Virginia Highlands or the Shops at Lenox in Buckhead.
• $7 supply fee to instructor payable the first day of class
• If you would like to make a telescoping box to fit a book you’ve made or any other object, please bring that object with you, so we can accurately measure them for precise results.
• 8 oz. bottle of Sobo glue
• 1.5 oz. container of Lineco® Pure Methyl Cellulose
• 2 Ziploc 16 oz. plastic containers with threaded lids (to prepare and store your glue mixture and methyl cellulose.)
• Lineco® bone or horn folder (real bone or horn, not plastic, please.)
• Decorative Cover Papers (This is decorative handmade paper that comes in many different patterns, textures and weights. Common names are: Washi Paper, Japanese Decorative Papers, Kozo Paper, Yuzen Paper, Lokta Paper. Pick at least 3-5 sheets you like that are not tissue paper thin or too stiff to be bent without cracking, and that can withstand adhesion with wet glue. We will cover our boards with this paper and within the pages of your book for collage and binding. ) Binders Art Supply carries a beautiful variety of colors and patters, as does Paper Source. Below are a couple more links to some papers that would be appropriate.
• (optional) Paper from recycled vintage books, illustrations, maps or ephemera to collage with your other decorative papers.
• 2-ply chipboard or “book board”
• Wax Paper
• Mechanical Pencil
• Exacto Knife & blades
• Self-healing cutting mat (at least 12 x 18)
• Lineco® glue brush or stiff & springy kiddie craft glue brush (at least one inch wide). Paper Source also carries a good glue brush.
• Non-slip metal ruler
• Paper towels
• Work Apron
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
This is an adult class. Children's classes coming soon!
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Parking is free and easy. Spaces provided at front parking lot of building and nearby street parking is also available if we fill up the lot.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
Please bring all supplies needed. Any extras (like paper scraps or drawing materials, feel free to bring.)
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Anne Elser: Penkitten@AnneElser.com
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?