Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
In just two years, the Money20/20 Hackathon has been established as a premier event for the world’s best developers and has set an entirely new standard for hackathons globally. The 2016 Money20/20 Hackathon will once again bring the best of the best professional hackers together at The Venetian in Las Vegas, from October 22nd to the 23rd for 24 hours of intense competition and collaboration. Teams will battle for $125K in cash prizes and international notoriety as they are challenged to showcase their skills and vision using the APIs, SDKs and other tools from today’s leading payments and financial services innovators.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Remember to check your computer's wifi adapter. you must have a 5ghz adapter or you'll need to buy a converter. The converter is covered in your $125 Travel stipend. To avoid wifi issues, we will only be providing 5ghz wifi at the Money 20/20 hackathon.
This year’s Money20/20 Hackathon Sponsors include:
The 10 winning teams will be rewarded in a big way. Money20/20 will be giving (5) $20,000 prizes, (5) $5,000 prizes and sponsors will have the option to give additional incentives. The overall winning team will also have the opportunity to present their solution as part of Money20/20's StartupPitch180 program that provides companies with a forum to showcase their leading-edge innovation in front of an audience of investors, media and other ecosystem participants.
Just $10 holds your place at the Money20/20 Hackathon. And to make it even easier for your to attend, qualified developers, designers and entrepreneurs can get up to a $125 travel stipend (details below). Very limited seats are available, so register fast!
**Note that registration for Money20/20, which follows the Money20/20 Hackathon, is separate from registration for the Money20/20 Hackathon. Only finalists from the top 20 teams will receive complimentary access to Money20/20.
Sponsor Challenges and Prizes
Leverage Feedzai’s API and other data services to build the best risk management decisioning use case. Build Something Amazing Using Feedzai…
Build Something Amazing Using Feedzai….
- Create a browser extension for an eCommerce or shopping platform (like eBay) that puts Feedzai’s risk analysis information at the user’s fingertips.
- Enrich the transactions with data from external services (e.g. Yelp reviews, email reputation, social media, feeds, geo-location) and provide this information to Feedzai’s API to get the most out of the machine learning engine.
- Create a seamless mashup with one payment provider (e.g. Stripe, Braintree), connecting it to Feedzai's API.
- Deeply integrate Feedzai’s API with one or several shopping carts (e.g. Shopify, Bigcommerce, Magento, Prestashop, Hybris, etc); in addition to automatically submitting transactions for fraud analysis, embed the analysis results directly into the user interface.
- Make it even easier for the merchant to decide whether the order should be shipped by adding information from other data sources, such as FullContact.
- Moonshot idea: repurpose Feedzai’s API to a completely different domain by mapping your non-ecommerce data to ecommerce transactions. See how far you can go by training Feedzai’s machine learning algorithms with your own data patterns.
- A Onewheel self-balancing electric skateboard
- Good vs Evil skateboards (one for each member of the winning team)
- Feedzai light up shirts
First we created the world’s most powerful global payments platforms. Then we brought you a collection of APIs and Android Intents and Broadcasts to harness this power. Now show us what you can do. We challenge you to find the most creative use of our APIs. We encourage you to be creative, but here are a few ideas:
We encourage you to be creative, but here are a few ideas:
- Crowd Prediction: Build an app that utilizes either Clover data or third party data (weather, traffic patterns, populations, etc.) to predict when business will rise and fall.
- Beacon Integration: Build a system that first identifies when people are in a business location and then triggers special offers, offers loyalty points, and connects the customer with other guests. We recommend using external beacons like Estimote.
- Staff Gamification: Build a system that incentivizes staff to sell more and sell more efficiently.
- Fitness Integration: Integrate with a fitness tracker like FitBit, GoogleFit or Apple HealthKit to offer rewards for people who walk or run a certain amount. As users reach milestones, provide them with discounts on items like running shoes or even an ice cream cone.
- Meal tracking: Automatically update a fitness tracker (like Fitbit, GoogleFit, Apple Healthkit) with meal data.
- Order at the table: Build an app that allows people to order and pay at table.
- Build a “Find Near Me” app or website that enables consumers to find the nearest business that provides the item they are seeking.
- IFTTT integration: Chain together IFTTT recipes to help merchants run their businesses and connect to customers. Better yet, get creative and build your own IFTTT recipes.
- Payment-enable an Internet of Things device using First Data’s Clover Go SDK: For example, First Data has worked with a vending machine manufacturer to create a seamless check out experience: a customer simply swipes their card, opens the machine door, selects their item(s) and closes the door to check out. What 'connected device' can you turn into a seamless POS?
**Additional considerations: include a loyalty option. Needs: ability to accept EMV and contactless (e.g. ApplePay) payments
**Additional considerations: Try incorporating consumer loyalty and offers alternative payment methods like Apple Pay or beacon technology.
Each member of the winning team will receive:
- New Toys: A new drone, a GoPro and an Oculus Rift VR
- Shopping Spree: $1,000 in Gyft cards
We all know the checkout experience is changing, but here is your chance to accelerate that change across all channels, while innovating at the speed of commerce. Come up with a new commerce experience using our SDKs in one (or more!) of these areas:
- Online: Build cross-border or domestic e-commerce checkout experiences for web or mobile
- Mobile: Build iOS or Android mobile apps to accept card-present payments with our Bluetooth-connected mPOS card readers
We’re looking for your ingenuity, but here are some sample projects to get your creativity flowing:
- Cross-channel: create a seamless commerce experiences regardless of location, payment method, or channel
- Charity: use our technology to enable high yielding charity and donation use cases
- Machine learning: Integrate our technologies with Google TensorFlow to help prevent fraud, improve customer satisfaction, or manage risk.
- Connected devices: turn any object into a transaction touchpoint with IoT devices like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Loyalty: identify and reward loyal customers during checkout
- Virtual reality: build a next-generation checkout experience using virtual or augmented reality
- Behavior: drive a change in bad habits or encourage good ones by making people pay for their behavior
- Go global: build unified experiences without borders, across currencies and alternative payment methods
- Cashless society: help the unbanked participate in the global economy
- Integrations: connect w/ other devices or services to build new integrations & mashups
Let us know if there’s anything you need to help make your idea a reality!
Fly around the world. Each member of the team (up to 5) will receive
- 6-night all expenses paid trip to Paris or Amsterdam to see the sights, visit our European offices, meet with executives, and refine your solution with our technical teams. Airfare, hotel and meal stipend ALL included.
- $500 Amazon gift card
- A follow-up 3-month mentorship from our business with technical experts to help launch your solution
Hardware prize package
- Each member of the team (up to 5) will receive:
- $500 Amazon gift card
- Home automation kit, including:
- o Amazon Echo
- o Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit
- o Philips Hue white and color ambiance starter kit
- o Nest thermostat
- Whether you are an Android or iOS fan, choose one of the options below:
- o Google’s new [unannounced] 2016 flagship nexus “Pixel” smartphone & smartwatch
- o iPhone 7 Plus & Apple Watch 2
Paying and receiving money is a key area of opportunity for innovation and disruption. At Mastercard, we love easy, seamless commerce interactions. We've built two new APIs to help. Leverage our Send Person-to-Person API or our Vending SDK to build the best customer experience that streamlines an existing commerce process or establishes a new business opportunity. The Send P2P API allows you to transfer money between accounts of many types, while the Vending SDK allows you to bridge the digital and physical world. Use one, use both, out-innovate your competitors, and we’ll send you on an experience you’ll never forget.
- Build a mobile game that interacts with a vending machine to automatically release a physical item related to the game.
- Build a used-goods selling platform that automatically transfers money between users.
- Build an automated car rental system that releases the key to a car from a vending machine.
- Build a gifting app, where a person can automatically fund a purchase for distant friends and family.
- Don't build a "bill-split" app (as we've seen hundreds of them) unless your idea is truly amazing.
- Build a social app that allows a group of people to fund a purchase, then vend that purchase in real time.
To celebrate Mastercard's 50th anniversary, $5000 Mastercard prepaid card (one per team member) to cover travel changes, your next electronics purchase, or an epic Vegas party.
Sunday, October 23
- One night accommodations at the Venetian (one room per team member)
- Transportation to the hotel
- Dinner at the Tender Steak & Seafood
- VIP Tickets to Blue Man Group including Q&A session
Monday, October 24
- Breakfast with Mastercard Chief Innovation Officer, Garry Lyons, at Morals at the Palazzo
- Priceless Helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon
- Return transportation to the airport or back to your hotel
It’s your time to go where no #paymentsgeek has gone before. Our mission, should you choose to accept it, is to metaphorically put a dent in the universe... in a good way of course. That’s how ModoNauts roll. We connect some of the world’s biggest payment systems to new digital experiences. We want you to use Modo’s handcrafted API to develop something super **spacetastically awesome.
- Humanitarian Universe: By connecting payments, help take steps to accomplish one of the UN Global Goals. How can connected payments end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture globally? Think outside the box!
- Relational Universe: How can more connected payments help you make new friends or keep the ones you have? Maybe it’s finding new ways to send and receive gifts to friends, or helping a stranger in need. Use payments to build relationships!
- Economic Universe: Connecting payments to make the business of business better. Payments has the capability to make the business world more efficient and effective. Solve a critical business problem.
- Political Universe - Isn’t there an election coming up? Surely more connected payments can solve all the problems in our political systems and government. Make it easier to donate to your favorite candidates and further your chosen political ideals (preferably libertarian!), or find a way to make international relations function more smoothly.
- Alternate Universe - Connecting payments in your own universe within the metaverse. We all know interstellar payments is the next big thing!
If you find yourself needing help developing your idea, we always respond to “Modo, we have a problem.” Kind of like Siri or Alexa, but with much different profanity levels. The Modo team is here for you regardless of whether you’re hacking on our API, because we’re all in this together!
Time is relative, and we don’t want to hold you up. You’ve worked hard over the last 24 hours, and every second counts when it comes to carrying your mission forward. You’ll be getting ALL your prizes right away, so take your protein pills, put your helmet on, and go put your dent in the universe. The winners of the Modo API Challenge will be leaving Vegas with:
- $7,500 Apple Store credit to be split amongst your team
- Secret code to gain access to the Payments Illuminati dinner, the most exclusive private invite-only event at Money20/20 with some of the biggest movers and shakers in the payments industry including bankers, entrepreneurs, VCs, analysts, and industry executives
- Atari console to practice defending your spacecraft from enemy aliens on Space Invaders (inspired by either Independence Day, you choose)
- Tickets for the Stratosphere SkyJump so you can have a moment of simulated Zero G
- ModoNaut Space Gear to keep you looking fly out in the universe (CAVEAT: No real flying in space allowed)
At Synchrony Financial we’re pioneering the future of retail financing and customer engagement every day. We engage with our retail partners and empower card holders to realize their ambitions. We want you to engage with us and build an innovative customer experience.
Your challenge is to use our API’s to build an experience that surprises and delights.
How would you apply for credit in virtual reality? Or view and redeem rewards on your watch? How could you enhance the retail shopping experience if you knew a shopper’s most likely next purchase? Innovate and engage with us and the hardware is yours to hack with.
- We appreciate your hard work and want to reward you by showing off your creation in our Money20/20 booth, and giving you the platforms to keep your creativity going.
- Product featured in the Synchrony Financial booth during the Money20/20 conference.
- 5x HTC Vive
- 5x Smart Watch (choice of Apple Watch or Moto 360)
- 5x Connected TV (choice of Apple TV or Nvidia shield)
- $500 gift card to any of our retail partners (Full list to be provided)
Vantiv values passion—not only for payments, but for technology, commerce and improving life. Just as we challenge ourselves in those areas, we challenge you to solve one of the world's grandest challenges—global warming, food growth/distribution, space travel, medicine, education, inclusion, sustainability etc. You choose your grand challenge and then build an app that helps solve that challenge utilizing Vantiv O.N.E. (One Network Experience).
As part of this challenge we are going to bring some hardware to trigger your creativity:
- Amazon Echo — simplify payments using your brainwaves to solve challenges rather than type commands.
- Nao robot — robots will obviously be a useful tool in solving any grand challenge.
- Sphero — what can you do to change the world with a simple, programmable, ball?
- Cubelets — if spheres are not your cup of tea what about stackable, programmable blocks to conquer a difficult challenge?
- Verifone Carbon -- We are partnering with Verifone to offer a first look at their new Verifone Carbon product. Drive commerce through new apps and grow the global economy!
Not into hardware? Pick any open API that you can mash with our payments APIs to ultimately solve a grand challenge and create unique commerce experiences.
(Hardware is limited and you’ll need to qualify for access)
The world needs big thinkers like you....become part of the Vantiv O.N.E. TechTribe and help make the world a better place.
Visit https://developer.vantiv.com/community/hackathon/ to engage!
The Winning Team* will select from either a
- $5,000 travel voucher … go to Hawaii or Mexico/Caribbean or Skiing in Aspen … the choices are endless
- $5,000 gift card to www.newegg.com or TigerDirect or Amazon to be able to build their own computer
The two (2) Winning Teams selected to move into the final judging on Sunday, October 23 will be invited to join Vantiv and Verifone Senior Executives for a celebratory dinner on October 23 at 6:30 pm at The Venetian. Executives include:
- Scott De’Angelo, SVP Vantiv Core Product
- Moin Moinuddin, SVP, Vantiv Integrated Payments
- Vin D'Agostino, EVP, Chief Strategy Officer, Verifone
Lastly, a winner will be selected coding to the Verifone Carbon Challenge.** This single Winning Team will be:
- Invited to a one-week internship at Verifone in San Jose, California office
- Lunch with Vin D'Agostino, EVP, Chief Strategy Officer, Verifone
- $1000 in American Express gift cards*
Create mind-blowing experiences to rapidly expand commerce by mashing Visa APIs with other technology and open APIs. Think about the Internet of Things, blockchain, biometrics, virtual and augmented reality and other technologies.
The Visa Prize for the winning team is a 4-day/3-night prize package trip for up to four (4) members of the winning team to see the 2017 Pro Bowl including:
- Four (4) 2017 Pro Bowl game tickets taking place on January 29, 2017 in Orlando, Florida
- Hotel accommodation for three (3) nights in Orlando, Florida (one room, quadruple occupancy)
- Ground transportation to/from the airport and hotel and all scheduled activities
- Four (4) one-day passes to a local theme park
- Program-themed amenity per person
- Two $350 Visa prepaid cards
- Assistance from Visa event team support staff
**The approximate retail value of the Pro Bowl package is $20,000.
**Airfare to/from Orlando, Florida is not included.
The Visa Prize also includes:
- 4 Microsoft Hololens
- Promotional support through Visa digital communication channels
Learn more at https://developer.visa.com/money2020
Develop an innovative application or solution that enhances a consumer’s purchase experience (instore or online). The tools could range from a unique consumer facing application, to a business strategic solution that merchants could utilize to improve their business practices that drive sales and customer satisfaction. You my utilize any advanced hardware your team has available (such as beacons or wearables), and any Worldpay API feature including Vault, Recurring Billing, as well as 50 user defined fields that could be leveraged for data analytics or business insights.
Each member of the winning team will receive:
- $500 Gift Card
- Oculus Rift + ASUS Oculus Ready G20CB-WS71 Desktop PC Bundle. This is a full bundle Oculus Rift virtual reality system. It includes the industry leading OR, full high-end Asus gaming system, VR sensors and remotes and an XBOX One wireless controller
- Everyday Backpack 30L - Kickstarter gear bag Backpack 30L. This is a fantastic gear bag backpack that is so awesome. It's currently a kickstarter program that will deliver in Dec. Perfect as a backpack or even better a great bag to carry your gaming gear or Oculus Rift setup. Also fantastic as a camera bag. Very clever design.
Wednesday, October 12th
6:00 PM (PDT): Pre-Hackathon Web-ex
Friday, October 21st
8:00 PM - 9:00 PM : Pre-Money20/20 Happy Hour and Early Check-In: @Lavo in The Venetian
Saturday, October 22nd
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Registration Open
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Breakfast
11:00 AM - 11:15 AM Opening Announcements and Coding Begins
11: 15 AM - 11:45 AM Sponsor Pitches
11:30 AM - 12:00 PM Attendee Pitches
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM Lunch and Networking
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM Sponsor Breakout Sessions
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Dinner
11:00 PM - 1:00 AM Midnight Snack
Sunday, October 23rd
6:30 AM - 8:30 AM Breakfast
11:00 AM Submission Deadline, Coding Ends
11:15 PM - 1:15 PM Lunch
12:00 PM - 2:30 PM Round 1 Demos
2:30 PM - 3:15 PM Judges Deliberation
3:15 PM - 4:45 PM Final Demos
4:45 PM - 5:30 PM Judges Deliberate
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM Money20/20 Opening Keynote
6:00 PM - 6:30 PM Winners & Awards
Travel Stipend for Qualified Participants
Qualified developers, designers and entrepreneurs can get up to a $125 stipend with a cap of actual expenses incurred for travel and lodging. To qualify, you must do all of the below:
- Check-in onsite to the Money20/20 Hackathon and,
- Submit a project, and
- Demo to the judges on Sunday, October 23.
All receipts such as hotel, airfare, gas, and lodging must have the attendee's name on them. Receipts must reflect the dates of October 20-27. Only travel to/from the Money20/20 Hackathon and hotel stay during the event will be reimbursed up to a total of $125.
Winners of the Money20/20 Hackathon will be selected by a panel of judges that includes industry leaders as well as one representative from each sponsoring company.
Judging will have two rounds, each with a live presentation format without slides or pitch decks:
Round 1 of judging will occur one-on-one with the judge from the respective sponsoring company presenting the challenge, and each sponsoring company will select his or her top two choices to advance.
Round 2 of judging will be on the Money20/20 General Session stage, where the top 20 teams will present their solutions with A/V support in front of the full panel of judges, as the audience begins to filter in for the Sunday evening Money20/20 keynotes. So yes, there will be an audience!
Each submission will be scored in each round based on the following criteria with a minimum score of 0 and maximum score of 20 points, with the final score being the average of the judges’ scores:
- Simplicity (5 points): Is the application simple to use and can the team explain it clearly in three sentences or less?
- Creativity (5 points): How creative was the team in developing an innovative solution for the challenge?
- Impact (5 points): Did the team create an application that can have a real and valuable impact?
- Design (5 points): Was the UX/UI intuitive and appealing?
There are ten sponsoring companies and therefore ten prize winners!
What is the Fresh Code Rule?
All code developed as part of the Money20/20 Hackathon must be FRESH–that’s how we keep these things fair. Before the start of the Money20/20 Hackathon, developers can create wireframes, designs and user flows. They can also come with hardware. But to keep things fair, all code must be written onsite at the Money20/20 Hackathon. Other than that, almost anything goes and you can use any coding languages or open-source libraries you’d like.
Who Owns the IP?
Participants will own the rights to their work. Sponsoring companies may have their own terms and conditions for proprietary technology or content.
Is there a team size limit?
Yes. Your team can have up to 5 team members.
Is there a Participation Agreement?
Yes, developers, designers and entrepreneurs are required to sign this agreement upon arrival at the Money20/20 Hackathon.
Pre-event Happy Hour
Join us at Lavo (in the Venetian) from 8:00-9:00p on Friday October 21, 2016 for the pre-hackathon happy hour. Drinks are on us, just bring your ID and get together for a little pre-show meet and greet with your fellow hackers and sponsors.
When & Where
AngelHack, a female-owned, female-majority company, is the world’s largest and most diverse global hacker community, helping to drive open innovation of tech products, platforms and brands with extraordinary smarts, scale and speed.