Make your services accessible via ELIXIR AAI
Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 9:00 AM - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM (CEST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
ELIXIR AAI is the ELIXIR service portfolio for authenticating researchers and managing their access rights in ELIXIR services. The workshop is intended in particular for service administrators in organizations that want to make use of ELIXIR AAI in controlling access to their services.
The workshop has down-to-earth approach that consists of lectures and hands-on sessions where the participants are instructed to install and configure a server running in a virtual machine in their own laptop. The workshop will be rather technical and detailed at times.
The workshop consists of two days. The first day is generic and useful for any service provider interested in providing online services relaying on the SAML 2.0 identity federation protocol. During the day the participants learn to install a SAML (Shibboleth) Service Provider server and integrate it to a SAML Identity Provider server. The second day is specific to ELIXIR and focuses on integrating the SAML Service Provider to the ELIXIR AAI. Also the ELIXIR AAI’s support for OpenID Connect protocol is presented.
Participants should bring a laptop - if you do not have one, please let the organizers know in advance. You may also be paired with someone else.
Participants should have a basic understanding of federations and federated identity management, including the terms and the benefits. Participants should also be familiar with the concept and the motivation of running Authentication and Authorization Infrastructure (AAI) services. The basic Linux skills are also strongly recommended.
The training is performed on a virtual machine (VM). The VM image that can be run in Virtual Box (recommended) or VMware Player/Fusion. To run the SP Training VM the following minimal requirements have to be met:
- User must have administration privileges on the laptop
- Any recent (< 4 years) Intel or AMD processor.
- 4 GByte RAM (at least 1.5GB free memory)
- 12 GByte free harddisk space
- Internet Connectivity
- VirtualBox (or VMWare Player) installed and fully operational.
- Download and Test Workshop VM Image (VM is running Linux OS)
Detailed instructions with links to the workshop VM image will be sent to the attendees later.
Contact phone number: 0172-9893034 (Björn Grüning)
Building 101, 2. OG, Room 02 016/018
Acknowledgements and Support
- Michal Prochazka, ELIXIR-CZ, ELIXIR AAI task co-chair
- Ondrej Velisek, ELIXIR-CZ, ELIXIR AAI task, OpenID Connect expert
- Timo Mustonen, ELIXIR-FI, Shibboleth expert
- Mikael Linden, ELIXIR-FI, ELIXIR AAI task co-chair
|09:00||Welcome and introductions|
|09:15||Federated Identity Management, SAML, Shibboleth and VM Setup|
|10:50||Basic Shibboleth SP Installation and Configuration|
|13:30||Session Handling and User Attributes|
|15:20||Access Control, Advanced Topics and Q&A session|
On Tuesday we meet at: http://mehlwaage-freiburg.de for dinner!
|09:00||Coffee and arrivals|
|09:15||Introduction to ELIXIR AAI|
|11:00||Integrating a SAML SP to the ELIXIR AAI|
|13:30||Introduction to OpenID Connect|
|15:15||Integration to ELIXIR AAI using OpenID Connect|
|16:15||Wrap-up and post-workshop questionnaire|
How to get to the campus of the Technische Fakultät
From Basel airport
- take a train to Freiburg Hauptbahnhof
- take the airport shuttle bus to Freiburg Hauptbahnhof
- one-way 26 €
- round-trip 42 € (tickets are valid for three months)
- Taxi is hard to get funding
From Freiburg Hauptbahnhof
- By local train: Take the Breisgau S-Bahn from Hauptbahnhof Freiburg in the direction of Gottenheim/Breisach to Neue Messe/Universität.
- By Stadtbahnlinie 4
- By bus:
- Take bus 10 from the city centre (Siegesdenkmal or Fahnenbergplatz) in the direction of Paduaallee to Bärenweg.
Accommodation for foreign visitors
Hotel am Rathaus
Intercity Hotel Freiburg
B&B Hotel Freiburg Süd
Munzinger Str. 1 b
Caritas Tagungszentrum Freiburg
In Freiburg you have to pay an additional accommodation tax. For business trips this tax has not to be paid if your employer fills out this form:
Show this form to the hotel.