Game Design Docs: From Paper to Prototype
Saturday, January 14, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (GMT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
- Experience: See many design docs from existing, award-winning games and have a chance to ask questions about the "how and why" of the design and the doc layout.
- Interactive: Take what you've learned, apply it and get feedback during the workshop.
- Exclusive: Limited enrollment for maximum feedback and follow up questions.
- Compact: One day, loads of information.
- Complete: Certificate upon completion.
- Overview of game design
- Key vocabulary
- Key components of games
- Methods of hosting (wiki, google doc, etc)
- Types of design documentation
- Game design docs
- Narrative docs
- Level design docs
- Overview of associated non-design docs
- Overview of game data docs
- Styles of design documentation
- Agile vs. Waterfall
- Spec vs. Walkthrough
- Heavy vs. Light (aka “design bible” vs. “iterative”)
- Overview of design considerations:
- Considering your player audience
- Creating a core statement
- Creating the feature set from the core
- Creating the design doc
- Considering your document audience
- Considering pre-existing styles
- Creating a table of contents
- Understanding document structure by system
- Creating functionality specs
- Preparing implementation specs
- Team review
- Maintaining design documentation
- Game as living design doc (rapid development)
- Things to prototype first (priority)
- Prototyping schedule
- Identify the risks
- Find the fun
- Participants receive certificate of completion
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
Yes. Professional game designers/developers or those hoping to become professional developers may attend. In the interest of those attending, children are not allowed.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Train or bus service to Galway City Centre. There are numerous car parks for those driving.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Send a message through the contact page.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
It is, yes. Please let me know, however.
Is my registration refundable?
Refunds will be granted until December 31, 2016.
When & Where
Game Designer Brenda Romero is hosting the workshop. All funds raised will be donated to Dominican College.