One of the myths about F# and functional programming is that it is only good for complex mathematics. This could not be further from truth. A web server is essentially a function from a request to a response and so functional programming is a perfect fit for it.
In this one-day workshop, you'll learn all you need to get started with building web applications in F# using the Suave.io server. We'll start with an walkthrough that introduces the basic F# concepts and constructs and uses them to build a simple interactive web site. By the end of the workshop, you'll write a application that accesses multiple external data sources asynchronously, uses agent-based programming model and WebSockets to send data to the client and can be easily deployed to Azure or Heroku.
The event will take place at Jet.com offices.Thanks to Jet for hosting us!
You will learn
- How to model domain using functional types and write functions that work with it
- How to use type providers to access JSON-based REST services, CSV and XML data
- How to write web applications using Suave & deploy them to Heroku and Azure
- Writing reactive web applications using web sockets, asynchronous workflows and agent-based concurrency with MailboxProcessor
- No prior knowledge of F# or Suave.io is required, but if you know F# already, we'll have a plenty of fun bonus problems for you!
- You don't need too much Mono or .NET knowledge, so people coming from other communities are more than welcome!
- You'll need a Mac, Windows or Linux laptop with F# installed. See www.fsharp.org for installation instructions.
We are happy to offer group discounts (more than 2 people) and also discounts for students and members of under-represented communities. To get a discount code, please contact the organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org.