ArcGIS provides dozens of geoprocessing tools that allow you to analyze and manage your data efficiently. Tools are available for changing the projection, selecting features, adding fields, buffering features, clipping features, and much more. Models are workflows made of geoprocessing tools and data sources, which can be repeated and automated without having to learn a scripting language. This full-day class will walk you through a real-world analysis example that will familiarize you with geoprocessing tools, ArcGIS Toolbox, and ModelBuilder. The class includes lectures, demos, and hands-on exercises to get you started in the world of geoprocessing.
Efficient Geoprocessing Using ModelBuilder is designed for GIS users who want to use geoprocessing tools and models in their daily operations and analyses.
Activities and Goals
- Understand the concept of geoprocessing and its applications.
- Learn how to search for, and where to find, geoprocessing tools.
- Find out how to get help with using geoprocessing tools.
- Set up the ArcGIS user interface so that you can easily access your favorite geoprocessing tools and ensure that results are saved in a suitable place.
- Build a simple geoprocessing model and edit a complex model.
- Create a tool from a model.
- View a model as a script.
- Geoprocessing basics.
- ArcGIS Toolbox and geoprocessing tools.
- Converting a multi-step process into a model.
- Basic and more advanced ModelBuilder tasks.
- A brief introduction to scripting.
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Completion of Fundamentals of ArcGIS and Intermediate GIS Concepts or equivalent knowledge is required.
What You Will Receive
- 7.5 hours of instruction from a subject-matter expert and GIS Academy class author.
- Use of a student PC while in class, with appropriate GIS software and access to training data.
- A copy of the class training material.
- Upon completion, a signed Completion Certificate which will indicate the CEUs (0.75) and GISCI points (0.1875) earned.
Our Students Speak
“Loved the pace of the course. It's so nice having the extra time in class to work on the exercises. I don't feel pressured to complete them and move on. It gives me time to formulate my questions.”
“I liked the personal questions that were answered…about how to implement the model builder into my own projects”
“Learning how to use ModelBuilder to automate repetitive tasks is going to be VERY helpful for work.”
“Learning how to do spatial joins and the basic ModelBuilder. Those two exercises back-to-back were great.”
KCGIS Training Terms and Conditions
By registering for one of our classes, you agree to our Terms and Conditions; you may review them here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/GIS/Training/TermsConditions.aspx .
King County Employees: King Co. Employees are eligible for a discounted rate. Please visit "How to Register for KCGIS Training".
State of Washington Employees: Visit your Human Resources Training and Development "How to Register" web page.
Attention - Veterans with GI Bill Benefits:
Selected programs of study at the King County GIS Center are approved by the Washington State Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of veterans and eligible beneficiaries under Title 38 and Title 10, USC. For more information on GI Bill benefits see www.gibill.va.gov (external link).
If you intend to use your GI Bill Veterans education benefits, indicate so on the registration payment page and send your USVA Enrollment Certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save This Event
When & Where
King County GIS Center
|Cheryl Wilder||206-477-4421||Training Coordinator: Client Services|