Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Rural Health Coding Bootcamp
Fri, Apr 7, 2017, 9:00 AM – Sat, Apr 8, 2017, 3:00 PM EDT
Association for Rural Health Professional Coding
*** Approved for 11 AAPC CEUs ***
Rural Health Coding & Billing Specialist (RH-CBS) Focus Areas
Focus Areas and Agenda
- We will present a detailed review of the AMA’s 2017 CPT Professional Edition from the perspective of rural health focusing on the services typically provided by RHCs and small rural hospitals/emergency rooms.
- With Information Technology finding its way into more areas of medical facilities the difference between clinical documentation, professional coding, and medical billing have never been more important. Coding, Documentation and Audit Examples will be provided.
- We will focus on the guidelines that appear before and after key coding sections that rarely are accessible to providers and coders/billers in their EHRs and encoder software.
- We will limit the review of codes that will rarely or never be performed in your facility setting – but will review the CPT cover to cover including guidelines, appendices, and modifiers with focus on level of visits and preventive services.
Who is the class for?
This class is designed for clinical personnel (MD, DO, NP, PA, RN), coders, billers, EHR professionals, facility and financial managers that work in Rural Hospitals and/or Rural Health Clinics.
What is being taught?
The Rural Health Clinical Documentation/Coding portion will be taught live from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. over the course of April 7-8, 2017. The Rural Health Billing portion will be taught via 2 hours of webinar training. Each webinar session will last 1 hour and slides will be provided for reference. There will be live and recorded webinar options available for registered attendees.
Earning the Rural Health Coding and Billing Certification
Upon completing both sections of class (as verified by registration information maintained by SCORH and ARHPC) authorized attendees will be able to take a 100 question online examination. If a score of 75% is achieved, a certification of Rural Health Coding & Billing Specialist (RH-CBS) will be provided by the Association for Rural Health Professional Coding. Full attendance includes the live training sessions, a one year ARHPC membership, the billing webinars, and the testing fee.
A certificate suitable for framing will be provided along with annual CEU renewal requirements and membership dues based upon the date of the class they attend. If the test is not passed the first time a free re-test is available. The test must be taken within 60 days of the last day of class or a fee of $75 will be charged. To maintain the certification, CEU requirements must be met along with payment of membership dues payable one year after the date of the class attended.
To maintain your RH-CBS credential you must earn 12 CEUs each year with at least half coming from ARHPC educational sessions (e.g. webinars, in-person class, eLearning, etc.).
- 2017 CPT (AMA’s Professional Edition recommended) – available for $95 from ARHPC
- 2017 – HCPCS-2 Code Manual – available for $55 from ARHPC
- 2017 – ICD-10-CM – available for $65 from ARHPC
Rural Health Coding & Billing Specialist (RH-CBS)
Day 1 (April 7th)
9:00 a.m. – Lunch Introduction and Testing Details
Coding vs. Billing,
Orientation to CPT, HCPCS-2, ICD-10 Guidelines
E/M Guidelines & Chart Auditing Principles
12:00 p.m.– 12:30 p.m. Lunch provided
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Determining E/M Level of Service (cont’d)
1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Review of Key E/M categories
Preventive Medicine vs. Sick Visits
Chronic Care Management & Advance Care Planning
2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Surgical Package Guidelines (CPT vs. CMS)
CPT and HCPCS-2 Modifiers
Day 2 (April 8th)
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. CPT and HCPCS-2 Modifiers (cont’d)
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Review of rural health procedural codes
Radiology, Pathology, Medicine, HCPCS-2
12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. Lunch provided
12:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ICD-10-CM/PCS & Clinical Documentation
Lunch provided by ARHPC
Hotel accommodations will be available at the Wingate Hotel for the nights of the 6th and 7th.
Wingate Hotel: 803-957-5000. Mention the SC Office of Rural Health for discounted room rate of $85 per night plus tax.