Two distances: partner sprint (3-5 hour) and half-day (6-hour)!
What’s this all about? “Trekking over the river bed, climbing over boulders, and being treated view to the awesome view at the top!”
Grab your partners and head out to collect checkpoints on a kayaking, mountain biking, and trekking challenge, condensing a month’s worth of adventure into a short expedition through California’s beautiful backcountry. See some beautiful country and make lifetime memories!
The Checkpoint Challenge partner sprint incorporates:
- 8-10 miles of mountain biking (60% single track, not technical, but if you’re used to sticking to fire roads, this will be challenging)
- 4 miles of technical trail running/scrambling/swimming (minimal swimming skills needed – if you can handle a pool, you’ll handle this)
- 2-3 miles of kayaking
- This is a great way to get introduced to traditional adventure racing! You’ll experience the partner aspect while enjoying minimally marked courses that require you to follow your map.
Doing the half day? Double the trek and kayak distances, add orienteering and epic ropes! You will be on less marked course and need to rely on a map and compass to complete the course.
- Race entry
- Kayak (for sprint distance only – 6-hour racers need to provide their own.)
- Continuous, waterproof topographical course map
- Race bib and timing
- Pre-Race Clinic
- Epic memories
- Finisher prize
- Tech T
Waves will be determined one week prior to the event depending on final numbers in each category. A maximum of 40 teams per wave in order to keep the adventure high and the crowds low. Lunch will be available for an additional fee on site.
The Checkpoint Challenge is designed to challenge the elite athlete but remain achievable for the novice off the couch participant. As with most things, the more prepared you are the better your experience will be. Before starting any training program consult a medical professional about potential risks involved.
We recommend biking, running and kayaking as ways to prepare for this race.
You do not need a support team for this race – it is designed to be self-supporting. Details will be sent out in our pre-race email sent a week before the event.
“So proud that our team worked so well together. I was worried my partner and I would argue, but I reminded him that when we race, NOTHING gets in the way of the finish line!”
We understand you’re putting your life in our hands for the time you’re on the course and we want you to know what’s on deck should you need it:
- We work with the local Search and Rescue team to provide EMTs and rescue equipment on course throughout the whole event.
- We have an Advanced Life Support (ALS) Ambulance on site
- We also have arrangements with CalStar, an air ambulance, and H70, the local CHP rescue helicopter for ALS and hard to reach locations.
- On the water we have a patrol boat for kayak and boat safety.
The worst injury we have had in our 9 years was heat stroke and we had an IV in him in 10 minutes en route to the local ER in 20 minutes.
All of our transition areas and course marshals have VHF radios that use a repeater so we have communications throughout the entire course, as little to no cell phone reception is available in some of the areas we travel through.
Entry fees for partner race (includes tandem kayak):
Last minute adventure for all after: $125
Save This Event
When & Where
All Out Events
All Out Events is a professional event/race planning and production organization dedicated to producing unmatched experiences for its participants.
While others produce large-scale, cookie-cutter, cost-cutting events, we focus on quality and depth of the experience while attempting to build community for our participants, volunteers, and partners.
Our event director possesses a keen eye for detail and design and knows how to create beautiful, challenging courses and fun festivals. We don’t sacrifice quality for quantity – our locations, courses, and professionalism are unmatched by our competitors.
We also work hard to be good to the environment – always using local business and talent, employing leave-no-trace ethics, using solar power, recycling, and creating a zero waste environment whenever possible. Featuring over ten years’ experience in event planning, marketing, and execution, All Out Events is a full-service event production company.
We produce our own events, as well as hire out our skills and equipment for execution and planning of events for sponsors and companies. We also have an in-house ad agency, producing our own marketing materials and graphics.
Our Mission: All Out Events’ productions are the product of professionals working with the community to produce extraordinary, exciting, and motivating outdoor-focused events for participants of all abilities.
- Motivate people to better themselves by providing life-changing memories and experiences.
- Run events in a sustainable, “green,” and respectful manner.
- Set the bar for professionalism within the outdoor event market.
- Maintain a catalog of diverse and original events, attracting a similar, but ever-widening audience of attendees and industry professionals.
- Working to grow the sport community for the event types we host.
- Highlight the communities in which events are held, promoting them as the outdoor recreation destinations they are.
- Support community-based philanthropy whenever possible.
- Provide a professional subsistence for the business’ management.