REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
This course is designed to provide entry level firefighter skills. Participants will receive NWCG certificates for S130, S190, and L180.
Course topics include:
- Proper tactics to extinguish fire with or without the use of water
- Why lookouts, communications, escape routes, and safety zones are important
- The primary factors affecting the start and spread of wildfire
- How to recognize potentially hazardous situations
- Environmental factors of fuels, weather, and topography that affect the spread of wildland fire
Prior to the in-person training, participants must complete the I-100 course online (2-4 hours of training) and bring proof of completion on August 11.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday will be classroom instruction at the Waccasassa Forestry Center in Gainesville; Thursday will be an all-day field exercise at Ordway-Swisher Biological Station.
What to bring:
• I-100 completion certificate (http://training.nwcg.gov/courses/i100.html)
• Lunch (lunch is only provided on Thursday August 15 during the live fire exercise)
• 6 inch or higher leather boots
• Leather gloves
• PPE (optional)
For more information contact:
Natural Areas Training Academy
Registration closes July 25, 2014
All cancellation requests are subject to a $50 fee;
no refunds will be offered after July 25, 2014