Registration starts at 9:30
Presented by Valerie Gross, author of the book, Transforming Our Image, Building Our Brand: The Education Advantage.
Participate in this lively, interactive workshop to experience a vision that is ushering in a new era for libraries everywhere. The strategy will make you, your library, and our profession indispensable for centuries to come.
As libraries implement this approach, they are finding that their inherent value is no longer questioned. They no longer need to constantly explain why they are important. No one looks at them anymore with a puzzled expression, asking, “Tell me again what you do?” Instead, the library systems enjoy heightened respect in their communities and optimal funding. This is because they are now accorded the same enduring worth assigned to other educational institutions.
What are these libraries doing differently? Adopting the “Libraries = Education” vision, they are repositioning their libraries as a key component of the education enterprise, alongside schools, colleges, and universities. Implementing the approach is simple. It does not require changing anything we do—only what we say. The strategy:
- Repositions libraries as educational institutions and library staff as educators
- Categorizes all that libraries do under three, easy-to-remember “pillars” (Self-Directed Education, Research Assistance & Instruction, and Instructive & Enlightening Experiences)
- Replaces traditional terminology and jargonwith strategic language that people outside of the field understand
Library Journal hails this approach “a 21st-century model worthy of study and consideration by every library in America, if not the world.” (Library Journal, June 2013).
This game-changing vision dispels all misperceptions. From the very words we use, everyone will recognize the true value of libraries. Just like schools, colleges, and universities, libraries are education—a timeless, economic imperative that merits immense respect and maximized funding.
At the conclusion of this workshop, you will understand how to describe yourwork and profession in terms that people understand and value. You will explore, discuss, and practice proven techniques to:
- Redefine libraries in a new, innovative way
- Align your library with what the community understands: education
- Incorporate intuitive, value-enhancing words into your everyday lexicon
- Heighten your library's visibility, stature, and funding
- Develop strategies that you can integrate immediately into your work
When & Where
Southwest Kansas Library System (SWKLS)
SWKLS provides professional resources, knowledge, and service to all libraries in Southwest Kansas.