San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Welcome to the 2017 Penn State Startup Week Social Innovation Challenge!
During this challenge you will get the opportunity to jump feet first into the world of social entrepreneurship as well as learn from professionals who have already made their way in this rewarding and exciting profession. No previous experience in business or entrepreneurship is necessary, but a strong desire/drive to make a difference in the world is a must!
This challenge is only open to Penn State undergraduate and graduate students.
The Social Innovation Challenge is scheduled to run Monday, April 17th, through Thursday, April 20th. Starting on Monday night, participants will have the chance to pitch their ideas and collaborate with like-minded students from diverse backgrounds. Tuesday through Thursday, teams will have the opportunity to work together in one of State College's premier innovation spaces, LaunchBox, to develop their ideas (including business model development, basic prototype creation, and customer validation). During this time, teams can bounce ideas off of and seek advice from world-class business mentors. The challenge culminates in a pitch competition on Thursday afternoon. (Team pitches will be filmed beforehand to accommodate students who may not be able to attend the afternoon event.) Winning teams will receive a variety of prizes that will enable them to continue to make an impact in the world and drive their social venture forward!
Social Innovation Challenge events include (starred events mandatory for participants):
- Monday, April 17, 5-6pm: Kickoff Talk by Ted Gonder of MoneyThink @ 127 Business Building
- *Monday, April 17, 6-8pm*: Idea Pitch and Team Formation @ 127 Business Building
- Tuesday-Wednesday, April 18-19, 9am-5pm: Free Work Time @ LaunchBox
- Tuesday-Wednesday, April 18-19, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm: Mentorship Available @ LaunchBox
- *Thursday, April 20, between 9am-12pm*: Final Pitch Filming @ LaunchBox (Teams to schedule 20min appointment.)
- Thursday, April 20, 1-3pm: Final Pitch Screening and Judging @ 121 Business Building
- Thursday, April 20, 5:30-7pm: Challenge Winners Invited to Attend and Pitch at Startup Week Reception @ BJC
Following registration, you will be forwarded additional details about the event. But if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the event coordinator, Melissa Long, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to learn about what else is happening during 2017 Penn State Startup Week, please visit https://startupweek.psu.edu/.