Autism expert Dr. Jed Baker is coming to Raleigh to present a workshop on helping students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, anxiety, mood disorders, and learning challenges to regulate feelings.
In his usual interactive and lively style, Dr. Baker will describe how caregivers can best think about difficult moments with children and teens to achieve better outcomes. He will walk caregivers through creating prevention plans to reduce debilitating anxiety and frustration. The second part of the presentation will detail strategies to motivate students to learn, ways to teach social skills, how to generalize skills into the natural setting, and how to increase acceptance and tolerance from peers.
- Understand how best to think about challenging behaviors to ensure better outcomes.
- Learn strategies to deal effectively with anxiety and frustration; both to de-escalate and to prevent meltdowns.
- Identify ways to motivate verbal and nonverbal students to want to socialize.
- Learn how to choose effective strategies for teaching and generalizing skills.
- Create programs for typical peers to accept students with disabilities, reduce bullying and model positive behaviors.
The workshop will also feature:
- Light lunch
- Opportunities to speak with ASNC staff
- Chance to network with area families affected by autism
- ASNC Bookstore, featuring Dr. Baker’s books
Registration ends at midnight on October 30. Don’t miss out!
Jed Baker, Ph.D. is the director of the Social Skills Training Project, an organization serving individuals with autism and social communication problems. He is on the professional advisory board of Autism Today, ASPEN, ANSWER, YAI, the Kelberman Center and several other autism organizations. In addition, Dr. Baker writes, lectures, and provides training internationally on the topic of social skills training and managing challenging behaviors; he was the keynote speaker at ASNC’s 2015 annual conference. He is an award-winning author of eight books, many of which are available in the ASNC Bookstore at autismbookstore.com.