Actions and Detail Panel
Introduction to Tractor Operation
Sat, Apr 22, 2017, 9:00 AM – Sat, May 27, 2017, 12:00 PM EDT
This course offers a unique, hands-on training opportunity in tractor operation for anyone with zero to little prior tractor experience.
Who should attend:
- Farm interns, apprentices, or employees who want to gain valuable tractor skills and experience
- Landowners and beginning farmers looking to increase efficiency or minimize risk on their farms
Comprehensive Overview of Tractor Safety & Operation*:
Saturday, April 22, from 9 am - 2 pm (includes lunch) *this session is mandatory for all participants
Operation, Observation & Practice classes:
Choose either Saturday daytime or Monday evening for these 4 sessions.
- Mondays from 5:00 - 8:00 pm (includes snack)
- April 24, May 1, May 15, May 22 (no class May 8)
- Saturdays from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (includes snack)
- April 29, May 6, May 20, May 27 (no class May 13)
All classes held at The Seed Farm in Emmaus, PA.
Upon course completion, you will be able to:
- Conduct safety and basic maintenance checks
- Operate tractors confidently and safely on farm roads and fields
- Hook up and use a variety of common agricultural implements
- Hook up and operate front loader equipment
- Speak tractor "jargon", follow operator manuals, and understand universal tractor specifications
Amy Cook is the Program Director at The Seed Farm. Amy has been driving tractors since 2004 on farms in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Amy's own training included over 300 hours of supervised tractor operation, and she recently co-instructed Penn State Extension's Tractor Safety course. Amy has operated a wide variety of tractors and agricultural implements commonly used on vegetable farms.
Cost: $250 for the course
Certificate will be awarded upon successful course completion.
Advance registration required by April 20.
**Please Note: All course participants are required to have a valid driver's license. These will be checked at the first day of class.**