San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Come join the team from Silicon Valley Data Science for a night in with pizza and drinks where our group of Data Scientists and guest speakers will cover How to Data Science Good and Do Other Stuff Good, Too.
In this local meetup, our guest speakers Allison Gilmore, PhD (One Medical Group) and Andrew Zaldivar, PhD (Google) will discuss a range of data science topics from techniques to technologies to general work strategies.
- 6:00 PM – Check-in
- 6:30 PM – Allison Gilmore: Unsupervised Topological Data Analysis
- Alli will talk about an unsupervised learning method from topological data analysis. Drawing on experience applying that and similar methods, she will discuss the unique user experience challenges that unsupervised learning presents, especially in high-stakes domains like healthcare.
- 7:15 PM – Pizza/Drinks
- 7:30 PM – Andrew Zaldivar: Practical Tensorflow
- Andrew will talk about TF.Learn (tf.contrib.learn) and TF-Slim (tf.contrib.slim), two lightweight, high-level, open-sourced TensorFlow APIs that allow data scientists to configure, train and evaluate a variety of complex machine learning models with relatively little code.
- 8:15 PM – Socializing and wrap up
Allison Gilmore, PhD
Alli Gilmore is a Senior Healthcare Data Scientist at One Medical. She works with the Clinical Quality and Value team to help One Medical build a world-class primary care system that delivers the highest-quality care and service affordably. Before joining One Medical, Allison led the healthcare data science team at Ayasdi, a machine learning software company. She holds a Ph.D. in mathematics from Columbia University and an M.Phil. in sociology from Oxford University. Her technical research interests include machine learning, graph analytics, and geometric and topological data analysis.
Andrew Zaldivar, PhD
Andrew Zaldivar is a Senior Strategist in the Trust & Safety team at Google. He is responsible for protecting Google's users and ensuring their online safety by fighting abuse and fraud across Google products. He performs statistical analyses on huge data sets to determine trends and develop business insights in order to protect users. He also utilizes machine learning to scale, optimize and automate abuse fighting efforts.
Before Google, Andrew was a fellow at Insight Data Science. He also received his Ph.D. in Cognitive Neuroscience from the University of California, Irvine in 2014.
Jonathan Whitmore, PhD, Senior Data Scientist
Following a postdoctoral position in astrophysics, Jonathan is a sought after speaker on computing and astronomy. He is excited by the application of machine learning and statistical techniques to industry problems and has developed novel data analysis techniques.
Colin Higgins, PhD, Data Scientist
Colin’s background is in early-phase Parkinson’s disease drug discovery, wherein he used high-dimensional biophysical datasets to model the effects of dynamic protein structures on drug selectivity. Prior to joining SVDS, he consulted for a startup, developing a user-matching algorithm based on natural language processing.
When & Where
Silicon Valley Data Science
Silicon Valley Data Science is a big data and data science consulting company that specializes in agile and business-focused solutions.