Actions and Detail Panel
Fall 'Open Day-Plus' with Broken Arrow Nursery
I wish I could walk every visitor around personally at Garden Conservancy Open Days—and answer every question. But that’s impossible when hundreds of guests stream through for the self-guided walkabouts I’ve been hosting for 20 years (and will this year again on May 6 and August 19).
Many visitors have asked me to take it to the next level, pretty please. Now Andrew Brand of Broken Arrow Nursery—they always do plant sales at my big Open Days—and I are offering a sort of “Open Day-Plus” on June 3 and September 16: smaller, ticketed, workshop-style events and sales lasting a half-day each, with lots of individual attention.
Space is limited, at each of two sessions per day.
Ticket includes $25 Broken Arrow shopping credit.
The September program (from 9:30-noon, and repeated from 1:30-4 PM):
- Baked Treats & Beverages: Fuel up, get acquainted, and tell us what you want to know more about, so we can fine-tune the program and cover it all.
- Tour/Meet My Garden: Tour with me, Margaret, focusing on how I made a garden for the birds (60-plus species visit yearly); my maybe-too-crazy obsession with gold foliage; my passion for great groundcovers; the "meadow" I've cultivated above the house by observing carefully and mowing differently; and most of all, my intimate relationship with the place that goes way beyond aesthetics.
- Workshop/Native Flora and Fauna: Broken Arrow Nursery Manager Andy Brand is expert in many things, but two of his personal passions are native plants, and wildlife. He is founder of the Connecticut state butterfly society, and a keen expert birder, and understands the intricate relationships between the plants we grow and the creatures that visit the garden. He's also got an eye for improved versions of great natives for our gardens, and we'll learn their features, use, and tips for successful culture. Why aren’t more people growing these incredible plants?, Andy asks…and watch out: Soon you will be!
- Plant-Talk Hangout: We’ll spend the last chunk of our time together just talking, guided by your questions.
- Shopping: Shop for plants from 11:45-1 and 3:30-4:45. Tip: Browse the Broken Arrow website (or call 203-288-1026 for advice on landscape-size plants in stock at the in-person retail nursery) to have larger specimens or multiples of something or just specific plants delivered on event day to take home.
$90 ticket price includes tour, workshop, Q&A session, plus refreshments…and a $25 credit at Broken Arrow plant sale.
NOTE: All registrants will be emailed directions to the starting location, next door to Margaret's garden in Copake Falls NY.
Prefer a regular Open Day? See you May 6 or August 19. Broken Arrow sales then, too.
Cancellation policy: Refunds if cancelled by September 2 (though we will do our best to fill your spot from the waitlist and refund you if it's closer than that); otherwise credit applied to another program of your choosing.