Actions and Detail Panel
Community Conversation: Detecting and Preventing Suicidal Risk Among Youth
Thu, April 27, 2017, 1:30 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
Lisa M. Horowitz, Ph.D., MPH, will present recent evidence-based research on tools for detecting depression and suicidal outcomes among youth. Dr. Horowitz specializes in pediatric psychology and is on staff with the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). She is the lead clinician on several suicide screening instrument development studies that include children with intellectual disabilities, and pediatric and adult medical patients. The major focus of Dr. Horowitz’s research is in the area of suicide prevention, with an emphasis on developing tools for medical practitioners and educators to guide them in the detection of suicide risk.
Tisha Deeghan, Executive Director of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board (CSB) will lead a panel discussion on youth suicide in Fairfax County. Panelists will provide updates on local suicide prevention efforts, youth mental wellness, and other behavioral health initiatives underway.
- Gloria Addo-Ayensu, MD, MPH, Director, Fairfax County Health Department
- Lyn Tomlinson, Assistant Deputy Director, Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board
- Dede Bailer, Ph.D., Coordinator, Fairfax County Public Schools Psychology Services
- Jesse Ellis, Prevention Manager, Fairfax County Dept. of Neighborhood & Community Services
- Betty Petersilia, LCSW, Program Manager Children’s Behavioral Health System of Care
Light refreshments will be served.
.*3.0 contact hours available for clinicians.Attendees are responsible for submitting contact hours to licensing/certification bodies for acceptance and conversion to CEUs.