Come sharpen your Swift skills in a day-long class on advanced theoretical and practical topics
Your instructor will guide you through closures, protocols, generics, pointers, and more.
If you understand the basics of Swift but want to get to know it deeply and take full advantage of its features, this class will get you there.
Advanced Swift will cover these topics
- Understanding ARC and memory management.
- Reference cycles and closures.
- The different capabilities of enums and how to work with them.
- Designing code to make the most of enums.
- Writing code with generics.
- UnsafePointer, UnsafeMutablePointer, and other pointer APIs.
- Working with C APIs, creating module maps, and dealing with pointers and function pointers.
All of these topics will be aimed at writing better code for practical, real-world apps.
Attendees will receive the complete slide deck as well as Xcode Playgrounds containing exercises for each topic.
- A working knowledge of the basics of Swift.
- A Mac laptop with a copy of the latest version of Xcode.
- An attentive and inquisitive mind.
About the instructor
Mike Ash is a Mac and iOS programmer with long experience programming for Apple platforms. He started out writing AppleSoft BASIC on the Apple IIGS, and he learned Pascal and C on the classic Mac before moving up to Objective-C and Mac OS X. He started working with Swift on the day it was announced, and delights in experimenting with the more obscure and difficult parts of the language. In his spare time, he writes the Friday Q&A series for his blog, exploring deep and arcane programming topics. For examples of his work, see https://mikeash.com/pyblog/ and https://github.com/mikeash.
About the venue
- Class will be held in the gathering room of Hyatt House, a modern, bright hotel located in the vibrant Mosaic district near Washington, DC.
- Mosaic is located close to I-495 and I-66. Free parking is available.
- Mosaic is also within walking distance of Metro's Orange Line, and a free shuttle is available.
The class will last one full day. Snacks and drinks will be provided during breaks, and lunch at a nearby restaurant is included.