University Health Care System is anchored by the 581-bed University Hospital, and serves Augusta-Richmond County and the surrounding region. Founded in 1818 as City Hospital, the hospital was first located on the 100 block of Greene Street. University has since moved through four facilities to its present location, which opened in 1970. Over the years, the campus has expanded to include the Heart & Vascular Institute and office buildings that house more than 600 private practice physicians and various treatment centers. For more about University Hospital and University Health Care System, log on to www.universityhealth.org.