Skip Main Navigation
Page Content

Toastmasters District 66

Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Our membership is 292,000 strong. These members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 14,350 clubs in 122 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.

On an eventful day in January 1948, someone started a plantation by planting a TOASTMASTERS seed and the Lynchburg Club No. 562 was chartered. The seeds spread and in April 1948, the Cavalier Club No. 596 was founded. This was followed by Norfolk No. 686 in February 1949, Portsmouth No. 771 in February 1950 and Roanoke No. 1011 in February 1952.

These five clubs are the oldest, active clubs in District 66. They are a part of the original twenty-eight clubs that initially formed District 66. Clubs still active from that original group include Tidewater, West End, Merrimac, Virginia Beach and Bellwood.

On July 1, 1961, Toastmasters International issued a provisional district status for District 66, Jack Tallent of Norfolk was elected to serve as the first District Governor. Before the creation of District 66, all of our clubs were a part of District 36, the Capital District, in and around Washington, D.C. The boundaries were established, with a line just south of Fredericksburg, VA our northern-most and the North Carolina border our southern-most. This is why District 66 is called the greater part of Virginia.

Since 1961, thousands of women and men have developed better listening, better thinking and better speaking skills. From our original 28 clubs we have grown to 121 clubs with many more opportunities available to us. Through proper planning and exhaustive efforts by many. District 66 has continued to provide opportunities for women and men to achieve the goals each has set. We commend those who have served over these 39 years (at all levels of district service) for a job well done in making our growth possible.

Save This Event

Event Saved