Skip Main Navigation
Page Content

The Museum of Ventura County

The Museum of Ventura County first opened in 1913 in the newly built Ventura County Courthouse (now Ventura City Hall). At that time, it was known as the Pioneer Museum, its collections of artifacts and curios were the legacy of Dr. Cephas Bard, a Pennsylvania doctor who came to Ventura after the Civil War. A compassionate man with wide-ranging interests, Dr. Bard accepted historical objects in lieu of cash payment for his services. Priceless Chumash, Spanish and Mexican-American objects from his collection are on display in the galleries today. In 1977, the Museum moved to its 15,000 square foot building on Ventura’s Main Street, near historic Mission San Buenaventura.

Save This Event

Event Saved