The Alpha Eta Sigma Chapter (also known as the Philadelphia Alumnae Chapter) of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated was chartered on March 28th, 1941 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, becoming the 60th chapter to be formed in the country and the 13th to be formed in the North Eastern Region.
Since her inception, the Sorors of Alpha Eta Sigma continuously represent and uphold our sorority's motto, "Greater Service, Greater Progress." In the 1940's, Alpha Eta Sigma enriched Sigma's image with many outstanding and varied activities that were designed to create a better world for our people, our children, and our community.
On June 27, 1947, Alpha Eta Sigma charted Beta Delta Chapter at Temple University. Alpha Eta Sigma would chart more collegiate chapters in the 1990's. The Mu Delta Chapter was chartered in 1991 on the campus of West Chester Universtiy, and the Xi Theta Chapter at Lincoln University in 1995.
In 1979, Alpha Eta Sigma presented its first Annual Scholarship Peanut Luncheon that highlights the research and inventions of scientist Dr. George Washington Carver. The chapter continues this signature program to date, providing scholarships to graduating high school seniors.
The Accomplished Alpha Eta Sigma Chapter has earned awards through the sorority, such as the Mary Lou Allision Loving Cup Award, which is presented in honor of Founder Mary Lou Allison Gardner Little at each Boule to the chapter reporting the most successful program and the Corine J. Green Anchor Award.