Skip Main Navigation
Page Content

School of Physics, Trinity College Dublin

The School of Physics has a long and distinguished history of teaching and research. Richard Helsham, the original Erasmus Smith's Professor, was the first to lay out Newton's methods in a form suitable for the undergraduate, so that his Lectures in Natural Philosophy were in use for a hundred years in the College and elsewhere in Europe.

 

Later holders of the chair include G. F. Fitzgerald, famous in relativity theory, and E. T. S. Walton, the only Irish recipient of a Nobel prize in Science. Fitzgerald campaigned for the building of a dedicated Physical Laboratory, but sadly he did not live to see the erection of the elegant building completed in 1906. The Sami Nasr Institute for Advanced Materials, completed in 2000, houses the central part of the School today.

 

Excellent modern facilities for teaching and research are now provided over a number of buildings including CRANN, a state of the art centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology research housed in a purpose built 6000m² building.

 

The School currently consists of a very lively community of over 200, including 28 academic staff, 50 postdoctoral fellows and over 100 graduate students, representing many different nationalities.

Save This Event

Event Saved