The Salastina Music Society is a new non-profit organization dedicated to presenting world-class performances of chamber music. Incorporating the goals of broad audience appeal and innovative programming, Founders/Artistic Directors Maia Jasper and Kevin Kumar purposefully design each program to be slightly shorter than the average classical music concert.Hallmarks of the series include:
• Program lengths catered to the modern attention span. Only one piece per program will last longer than fifteen minutes.
• Visual and aural variety. No two pieces will be performed with the exact same mood or combination of players.
• "Free applause zones." Our audience will be encouraged to applaud freely, without worrying about whether or not it is the traditionally appropriate moment. No ticket buyer should be implicitly required to temper his enthusiasm - or feel embarrassed for applauding in the “wrong” spot!
• Thoughtfully-chosen new music. We believe in performing the music of our time - and will make our selections based not only on compositional sophistication, but also on lyrical and melodic qualities.
• Tangible audience participation. At some of our performances, the audience will have the opportunity to vote on the encore selection.
• A unique atmosphere of formality mixed with fun. We believe dressing up, soaking in some of the most masterful art ever created, and laughing out loud can all work hand-in-hand to make any special event just that - special!
• Extra-musical ways of enhancing the concert experience, from free ice cream to celebrity comics to original arrangements. Stay tuned!