The Railroad and Heritage Museum was founded in 1973 to collect, preserve and exhibit the history of the railroads and local history of Central Texas. The original collection was housed in the 1907 Moody Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe depot. In 1996, an ISTEA grant for renovating the Temple Santa Fe depot, which had been vacated by the railroad and was destined for demolition, was applied for and received. Three years later, in 1999, work on the restoration began. Dedication of the restored depot took place on July 8, 2000. This beautifully restored depot is now the home of the museum. For more information about the museum or the historic Santa Fe Depot, visit www.rrhm.org.