The mission of the Elizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless is to ensure that homeless individuals and families, and those persons who imminently face homelessness in Union County:
• Obtain safe, sanitary, and adequate temporary or emergency shelter;
• Are provided with a full and fair opportunity to secure safe, decent, affordable, permanent housing;
• Are treated with dignity and respect by all throughout the process of obtaining shelter and/or permanent housing;
• Are advocated for and protected from discrimination as they assert their civil and constitutional rights;
• Are assisted in their effort to self-advocate and are empowered to become self-sufficient.
In addition, the Coalition will:
• Build a community of support, compassion and respect within the agency in relationship with St. Joseph’s Social Service Center, the community served, volunteers, and any other individuals or agencies committed to advancing the interests of homeless and near-homeless people;
•Heighten public awareness and understanding of the gravity and depth of the problem of homelessness and its root causes;
•Enhance the larger community’s sensitivity to the plight of homeless people through organizing, advocacy education and training.