San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Come cheer the Young Professionals of Naples Canoe on at The Dock and Riverwalk Great Dock Canoe Race!
Never heard of The Great Dock Canoe Race? Here is some history and information about the event:
It was in the spring of 1977 that a new restaurant, The Dock at Crayton Cove, decided to throw an end-of-season party to celebrate its first year. Because of its waterfront setting, a canoe race seemed a natural fit. Twenty-five contestants and about 150 spectators participated in that first race. No one realized they had witnessed the birth of a tradition.
Today, the Annual Great Dock Canoe Race is arguably Naples' most popular event. Contestants and spectators travel from throughout the country to race and watch, and thousands of people, from young children to grandparents, celebrate the Race on land, dock and bay.
The Theme for the event changes each year, and the costumes and headgear of the participants and spectators are as much a part of the day as the paddling and puffing. This year's theme is "The Hunger Games".
The Annual Great Dock Canoe Race, now jointly sponsored by the Dock and Riverwalk Restaurants, began as a community event, and has stayed true to its roots. Each year proceeds of the event are contributed to a local organization working for the town's benefit. This year's beneficiary is Collier Harvest.
For more information, visit http://www.greatdockcanoerace.com/default.asp.
Schedule of events:
- 09.00 – 10.30 am Theme Canoe Registration
- 10.00 – 12.00 noon General Registration
- 11.00 am Theme Canoe Parade
- 11:15 am Tippycanoe VIP Sprint Briefing
- 11:45 am Start Tippycanoe VIP Sprint
- 12:15 pm Main Race Briefing
- 12:40 pm "Practically Professionals" position canoes
- 12:45 pm Start "Practically Professionals" race
- 12:46 pm "Ambitious Amateurs" position canoes
- 1:00 pm Start "Ambitious Amateurs" race
- 2:00 pm Awards Ceremony
SEE YOU THERE!!!