Actions and Detail Panel
Writing, Managing, & Creating Acceptable, Approvable Requirements Documents
Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 8:00 AM – Thu, Apr 20, 2017, 5:00 PM EDT
Session 1: Wednesday, April 19, 2017
8:00am - 5:00pm EST
Session 2: Thursday, April 20, 2017
8:00am - 5:00pm EST
No prerequisites: this course is suitable for both novices and experienced people who need to produce requirements documents for development.
Once a business analyst has completed the information gathering and analysis to produce the solution to a business problem, the results must be documented for all stakeholders to see and understand. This course will enhance the skill set needed for writing and managing the complex readership that business analysts interact with on a day-to-day basis.
It is important for you to attend if you:
- Work as a business analyst
- Define and manage requirements through the development life cycle
- Prepare requirements documents for development
- Business analysis
- Defining solutions to business problems
- Selecting the audience to write to
- Requirements writing guidelines
- Writing clear, precise, unambiguous requirements
- Managing the requirements document through the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Write an understood requirements document that is approvable and acceptable
- Validate a requirements document
- Manage the changes to requirements documents through the SDLC
- The role of the business analyst
- An introduction to the BABOK® Guide
- The business analyst and the product/project life cycle
- The requirements documentation process
Planning for Effective Requirements Documentation
- Overview of requirements planning
- Planning for validation
- Planning for verification: well-formed criteria
- Planning for verification: understood and usable criteria
Writing Effective Requirements Documents
- Overview of writing requirements documents
- Using a standard structure / template
- Applying formatting techniques
- Meeting the challenge of writing non-functional requirements
Baselining Requirements Documents
- Overview of the requirements baseline process
Managing Requirements Change through the Product Life Cycle
- Overview of requirements change management
- Establishing a formal change management process
- Tracing requirements through design and development (build, test, and implementation)
- Following through to post-implementation (transition and early production)
- What did we learn, and how can we implement this in our work environments?
This course is part of IIL's Business Analysis Certificate Program (BACP), a program designed to help prepare individuals pass the IIBA™ Certification exam to become a Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP™).
Learn more at www.iil.com/bacp.
The Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK®) is a useful accompaniment to this course. Prior to taking the course, we recommend that you download a copy of the BABOK® from www.theiiba.org.
When complete, you can earn 14 Professional Development Units (PDUs) in the Leadership category.