JOIN AMY GIGI ALEXANDER
for a six day writing workshop in San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende has a special vibe: it’s a center for art, literature, and culture, which is why I call it home. This World Heritage city is an inspiring place which blends traditional and modern Mexico with expat influences. This is a city made for writers. If you write, this place is calling to you.
I’d like to invite you to a six day workshop which focuses on creative nonfiction: personal essay, memoir, and travel stories. The purpose of this workshop is to help you master evocative prose and expand the depth of your writing voice, capable of transforming you as you create—and also transforming the reader with a powerful narrative that enraptures and takes them to right where you are.
Anyone can write well, with the right tools. With an emphasis on craft, this workshop is designed to give you a working tool kit which you can use during the workshop, and long after. I provide a supportive atmosphere and the kinds of experiences and exercises that take you personally somewhere new, so that your work can bloom. As an award-winning writer of memoir and travel essays, with work published by Lonely Planet, Travelers’ Tales, BBC Travel, and literary journals worldwide, I can help you take your work to the next level.
Workshops are taught in a group setting. Each morning, our group meets in a beautiful villa for a hearty Mexican breakfast, followed by a 4-hour workshop on site, which includes writing exercises, a lecture, and time to write/share. Coffee, tea, and freshly squeezed fruit juices are provided during workshop breaks. You’ll be crafting several pieces during the class series, and have the opportunity to work with me one on one outside of the group, as well.
While this workshop focuses on writing, I also have created a bespoke tour day, which includes all of my favorite places outside of San Miguel de Allende. I’ll be your guide, and I’ll be showing you ways to write about places and experiences using sensory detail. Destinations include:
- a rare visit to the private home and outsider art environment of mosaic artist Anado McLauchlin, with a tour of the galleries, grounds, and studio by the artist;
- entry to 18th century Jesuit sanctuary of Jesús Nazareno de Atotonilco, which hosts oil paintings by Rodriguez Juárez and mural paintings by Miguel Antonio Martínez de Pocasangre;
- a wander through the pueblo of Dolores Hidalgo, which is famous for both their Talavera hand painted pottery and their ice cream;
Our final night includes a celebration of finished works. We meet at the villa in the evening for salon with local music, traditional foods from this part of Mexico, and the opportunity to read your work to the group.
- entry to the incredible ruins of the largest and most palatial hacienda in this part of Mexico, Jaral De Berrio, with a visit to the hand-crafted metzcal factory on premises.
Tuition: 1300 USD.
Tuition can be paid in three staggered payments, or in full. This workshop is designed to be economical, so that a wide variety of students can attend.
- Five 4-hour writing workshops + one 5-hour active classroom tour day [25 hours of class time]
- Six breakfasts and snacks provided during workshops
- Full day guided tour outside of San Miguel to see unusual places which will inspire
- One-on-one private session of one hour with me, to discuss a piece you’re crafting in the workshop
- Evening salon, concert, and dinner on the final evening
Additional one-hour consults may be booked, depending on availability, for 125 USD/hour.
San Miguel de Allende is an easy destination to reach by airport shuttle. Accommodation and meals not listed above are not included. From a high-end, private retreat to a modern hotel to an eight dollar hostel bed, the city has it all. The city is extremely walkable, and the center, where our workshops will be held, is flat and accessible. Buses and taxis are also easy to use and run constantly. Food is cheap and plentiful, from 4-star restaurants to street markets to basic bodegas and family eateries.
For suggestions on transport and accommodations, or general questions about the workshop, please contact: email@example.com
Have questions about Write with Amy Gigi Alexander: Jan. 21 - 28, 2017?
Contact Amy Gigi Alexander