Have you been invited by your Racer to attend? If so, and you have an interest in seeing a little bit of what we do, as well as meeting other parents and Adventures in Missions staff at the World Race Launch, please register here. Please make sure you register all people who will be attending - but do not register your Racer.
Your Racer leaves in January to start an amazing journey around the world, and with that comes your own journey. We want to help you start well, and we believe this will help launch you, as you release and watch the Lord work in and through your Racer over the next year.
The hotel for the parent event - and the one we ask parents to book at if possible - is the Hilton Atlanta Airport (1031 Virginia Ave., Atlanta, GA). Please do not share the hotel name or post it on the parent facebook page. We treat the hotel details with the same confidentiality we use for the registration link. (Parents may not book at the Racer hotel.)
You can call the hotel directly and let them know you are part of the Adventures in Missions World Race group. Their phone number is 404-767-9000. You can also book your rooms under our block using this link, which is the most convenient option:
They are offering a discounted room rate of $99 per night and it includes free self-parking and complimentary internet access. To guarantee this rate you must book by December 23, 2016, However, it is possible that our room block will sell out prior to this date. They will also honor the discounted rate for 1-2 nights before and after the event on a space available basis.
Unofficial activities (see below) will start at 10 a.m. We will officially start at 1 p.m. on Sunday, January 8, and parents must be there at that point. This means your Racer may need to find other Racers to hang out with or get to their hotel a bit earlier as well in order to accommodate your schedule. It is important to attend the entire meeting from 1-5 p.m.
Unofficial activities -
1. Insurance Rep Available for Questions: Do you have specific questions about the Racer insurance policy? We will have a representative available at 10AM to answer insurance questions.
2. Informal Lunch: We always get feedback that parents wish they had more time together with other parents from the squad. If you will be in town early on the 8th (before the event begins at 1p.m.), we'll do an informal early lunch together for anyone who wants to get a head start on meeting other parents or Adventures in Missions staff. We will meet in the Hilton lobby at 11 a.m., divide you into squads and your group will go to lunch together. This is an informal gathering - we'll facilitate it, but we don't do RSVPs, and you'll be on your own for the cost of the meal.
What are parents invited to? (Note: Since Racers are "on the Race" once they get to Atlanta, and since their training schedule is full, you will have limited time with them. This event is primarily for you to get the info you need to feel comfortable with us as an organization, to meet other parents and to explore what your journey - and your Racer's journey - might look like.)
Here's an overview (Please note that minor time adjustments may be necessary as we complete our planning):
Sunday, January 8, 2017
- 10:00 - 11:00 - UNOFFICIAL EVENT - Insurance representative available to answer specific insurance questions.
- 11:00am. - 12:50pm - UNOFFICIAL EVENT - Lunch with other parents in your squad. Meet in the Hilton Hotel lobby.
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm - Orientation (You need to be there for the entire 4 hours.) Meet with Adventures in Missions and World Race leadership, ask questions, find resources and generally get to know Adventures in Misisons and other parents. All parents and siblings who plan to attend the evening event must be registered and must attend the afternoon session.
- 5:00pm - 7:00pm - Dinner provided for you (our treat). Dinner at the Hilton Hotel with other parents from your squad. (Racers are not included in this dinner. WR is providing them dinner at their hotel).
- 7:00pm - 9:00pm - Racers come to the parent hotel for a joint session of worship and teaching.
Monday, January 9, 2017
- Breakfast and coffee on your own.
- 8:30am - 12:30pm - Main Session - Hear from Adventures in Missions staff and other parents. We'll talk about Parent Vision Trips and other engagement opportunities. Ask more questions and debrief the previous evening's experience. All parents and siblings who plan to have lunch with their Racer must attend.
- 12:30pm - 1:45pm - Lunch with your Racer's team. Final goodbye must be said at the end of lunch. To maximize the time with your Racer, we recommend you take advantage of the $10 Chick-Fil-A box lunches which will be available. (More information regarding this option will be sent to parents and Racers closer to the event.)
Transportation, lodging, breakfast and lunch on the 9th are your responsibility. Dinner on the 8th is our treat. The Racer's hotel will be approximately 0.75 miles from the Parent Event and there are a number of restaurants (sit down and fast food) within easy walking distance. Transportation will be your responsibility, but it is an easy walk. There is also a shuttle from the airport to the Hilton, so you are able to do this without having a rental car.