San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join CloudDC Meetup Group in a one-day workshop for Financial services organizations looking to process, analyze and manage an increasing volume and variety of data. The financial services sector needs the ability to drive operational efficiencies through analytics, detect fraud quicker and more accurately, model and manage risk, and as well as reduce customer. Scaleable cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS) provide a variety of data processing, analytics and data management options for financial services organizations looking for faster, cost efficient and modern ways to proces and analyze data.
The combination of Apache Spark with a scalable and cost-efficient cloud hosting platform such as AWS provides a powerful and readily adoptable solution for organizations looking to jumpstart their analytics program. Apache Spark is an open-source, distributed processing system commonly used for big data workloads. Apache Spark utilizes in-memory caching and optimized execution for fast performance, and it supports general batch processing, streaming analytics, machine learning, graph databases, and ad hoc queries.
Workshop Agenda and Topics:
– Welcome and introductory remarks by Fannie Mae Chief Data Officer
– Apache Spark and Big Data Ecosystem Overview
– Role of Spark with respect to Hadoop, AWS, EMR, and popular big data technologies
– Analytics and ETL with SparkSQL and DataFrame/Dataset APIs
– Basics of Spark Execution and Memory
– Intro to Machine Learning with SparkML
– Intro to Spark Streaming
– Spark on YARN: Clustering and Operations within EMR
– Business Cases and Architecture Patterns with Spark
This one-day workshop will consist of highly experienced presenters and speakers with deep expertise in AWS, Apache Spark and Financial Services. The workshop will feature hands-on sessions allowing you follow along and create your own Apache Spark based analytics application on AWS. You will also have an opportunity to network and learn from industry peers including participants from Fannie Mae. Lunch will be provided and is included in the workshop fee.
Workshop Instructor (s):
Adam Breindel is a Big Data Consultant focused on consulting and teaching Apache Spark. Adam’s experience includes work with banks on neural-net fraud detection, streaming analytics, cluster management code, and web apps, as well as development at a variety of startup and established companies in the travel, productivity, and entertainment industries. He is excited by the way that Spark and other modern big-data tech remove so many old obstacles to system design and make it possible to explore new categories of interesting, fun, hard problems. Adam will be leading the workshop and be the primary instructor for this workshop.
Vamsi Chemitiganti is the General Manager (Financial Services) at Hortonworks. In this role, Vamsi is responsible for driving Hortonwork's technology vision from a client business standpoint. The clients Vamsi engages with on a daily basis span marquee financial services names across major banking centers in Wall Street, Toronto, London & Asia , including businesses in capital markets, core banking, wealth management and IT operations. The other large component of his role is to work with Client CXOs and Architects to help them on key business transformation initiatives. Chemitiganti holds a BS in Computer Science and Engineering as well as an MBA from the University of Maryland, College Park. He is also a regular speaker at industry events on topics ranging from Cloud Computing, Big Data, High Performance Computing and Enterprise Middleware. Vamsi blogs on financial services business and industry landscape at – www.vamsitalkstech.com. Vamsi will provide a 1 hour presentation with practical real-world use cases of Apache Spark and Machine Learning in Financial Services.
Workshop Participants Must Bring:
- Laptop computer with Chrome or Firefox installed and access to the web (HTTP on all ports)
unblocked and SSH (port 22) unblocked
- For Windows users, an SSH client such as PuTTY (http://www.putty.org/)
The workshop requires some basic understanding of Hadoop, AWS and Apache Spark. It is not a 101 class.
- We request No Soliciting on Fannie Mae Property
- Please plan to arrive early by 8.30AM for ample time to complete security, registration and parking logistics
- Please park in visitor parking spots. Ask the security person at the gate for directions to visitor parking spots
- Due to the costs associated with logistics and organizing the event, we are unable to provide refunds. We will however provide a credit towards a future event
- There will be a Networking Hour from 3PM to 4PM after the workshop for the opportunity to mingle with other participants and members of the Fannie Mae Enterprise Data Team to share ideas and best practices.
When & Where
CloudDC Meetup Group
CloudDC Meetup is a community based organizations consisting of cloud computing enthusiasts. Our members provide technology solutions to security focused customers in Financial Services, Healthcare, Telecom, Non-profits and Public sector markets. Please visit us at https://www.meetup.com/CloudDC