Workshop: Local Government Challenges in Dealing with Rising Seas
Monday, October 28, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM (EDT)
This workshop is designed especially for local government planners and attorneys as well as local government administrators, staff and elected officials.
Presenters will discuss:
- Information on the science of sea level rise;
- Understanding and addressing climate vulnerabilities in local communities;
- Insurance and coastal hazards;
- Planning resources for adapting to rising sea levels, changing coastlines, and coastal hazards; and
- A bellwether case that may signal the future issues that other local governments will face.
The workshop will also provide time to share experiences related to coastal hazards and efforts to adapt to changing coastal conditions.
Speakers include representatives from the Army Corps of Engineers, the Association of State Floodplain Managers, ISO/Verisk, University of Georgia, St. Mary’s, Satellite Beach, Atlantic Beach, the Northeast Florida Regional Council, the Coastal Regional Commission of Georgia, St. John’s County, and Florida Sea Grant.
Find the agenda at the link below: http://www.rcinef.org/10_28_13_Rising_Seas_Participant_Agenda.pdf.
Access bios for many of the speakers here: http://www.rcinef.org/Combined_Bios_for_10_28_13_Rising_Seas_Meeting.pdf