Actions and Detail Panel
Who Knows? A Conversation with Loomio Co-founder, Rich Bartlett
Wed, April 19, 2017, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Around the world, organizations, movements, and businesses are questioning the effectiveness and humaneness of hierarchies. New methods of decision-making are emerging, and new technologies to support them. But what's the state of this nascent movement?
Join us for a conversation about collective decision-making with Rich Bartlett, the co-founder of Loomio, the revolutionary group decision-making software, used by Spanish progressive movement, Podemos. (Read a New Yorker article on Loomio and Podemos.)
Bartlett will be joined by representatives of New York-based organizations working with non-hierarchical structures.
The conversation will address the following topics:
- What are some different types of flat structures organizations can employ?
- How do organizations go about resolving conflicts in a flat structure?
- Is there a "tyranny of structurelessness"? What are the hidden power dynamics in a flat structure? How can they be mitigated?
The event will start at 6pm. Food will be provided.
- 6p-6:30p - Networking, mingling
- 6:30p – 7:30p - Discussion with Rich Bartlett
- 7:30 – 9p - Breakout