Actions and Detail Panel
What’s holding you back from getting the NED roles you want?
multiple dates available throughout October and November
A one day workshop at the IoD, London
Increase your chances of getting the NED roles you want by learning how to confront and overcome your main behavioural liability and by utilising your hidden behavioural asset
Presented by Ciarán Fenton – leadership consultant and author of The 7 Deadly Sins of Nascent NEDs
Few people start their careers aspiring to be a Non-Executive Director. If you have the drive, the determination and the tenacity – the chances are you’ll have spent your career pushing towards, and achieving CXO status.
Naturally then, when the time comes for you to pursue a Non-Executive Director career - you’ll believe that you have what it takes to excel. In many ways you do. You’ve got the strategic mindset - the wealth of experience and no doubt the industry knowledge. So why then sometimes, are you not able to “seal the deal” when it comes to securing your chosen NED role?
Who is it for?
This intensive, one-day workshop is for both new and aspiring NEDs
Learn how to confront your main behavioural liability which could prevent you from securing the NED roles you want e.g. frightening the CEO
Identify your hidden behavioural asset and understand how this can be used to your advantage at interview
Develop a Purpose, Strategy and Behaviour Plan - a PSB Plan to achieve your NED goals
“I did Ciaran’s One-Day Programme. I found that it was such an eye opener that I went on to sign up for his six-month intensive NED Programme”.
Rory Curran, NED and Angel Investor.
“Ciaran and his Model made a significant difference to my approach, and to building my NED portfolio”
Greg Tufnell, NED
“Ciaran and his Fenton Model helped me completely reassess what I was doing and were a key factor in my developing a great portfolio of directorships, including the launching of a successful start-up business”
Mark Henderson, Chairman The New Craftsmen
Agenda - Before the Day
- Introductory call or video call with Ciaran prior to the workshop to fully understand your current position, your needs and your ambitions.
- Preparatory material to enable you to make the most of the day
Agenda - On the Day
- Coffee, registration and opportunity for networking with other delegates
- Welcome and introduction
- Roundtable 3 minute presentations from each delegate
- Your Personal purpose. What is it? Why does it matter? How you can articulate this to the board and how to build this into your NED Business Plan.
- Your non-exec portfolio strategy. Understanding yourself and the value of your experience. What makes you different? What is your USP? Deciding on the right non-exec strategy for you and learning how to build this strategy into your non-exec portfolio business plan.
- Your behavioural traits. What might you need to learn, change or remove from your behaviour to (i) become an attractive proposition for hiring bodies (ii) become a bigger asset to the organisations you support
- Sales, marketing and delivery behaviours. What they are and how to optimise them to get the roles you want.
- Your non-executive portfolio business plan. We’ll be defining your purpose and your strategy AND looking at how to position, productise, price, place and promote you as a business.
- Summary / Review /Final Thoughts and Closure.
About Ciaran Fenton
For more than a decade, Ciarán Fenton has helped CEOs and professionals improve their leadership performance, working relationships and to accelerate business and behavioural change.
During his early career he held senior business leadership roles at Hachette, ITN, Pearson, and The Guardian Media Group. He has worked with scores of individuals and organisations including BT, HSBC, Capita, Radiant Law, and Unilever, using his tried and tested model - The Fenton Model™ - an innovative approach to self-management that provides senior leaders with the thinking and tools to achieve a step change in their own behaviour and that of each member of their senior leadership team.
Ciarán is a mentor at London Business School, a Senior Adviser with the Blueprint for Better Business charity and a regular speaker and writer on leadership issues. Publications include The GC-CEO Relationship post Global Financial Crash: Flourish or Flounder and The 7 Deadly Sins of Nascent NEDs. He is writing a business book about behavioural change expected to be published in 2017 entitled Small Change. He holds a business degree, B.Com (Hons.) from The National University of Ireland, Cork and he lives in Brighton. He is married to writer Marian Garvey and they have two children.