Actions and Detail Panel
What's better than treating a chronic disease? Never getting it!
Mon, April 10, 2017, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Have you been told you might be at risk for getting diabetes but don’t think it will happen to you?
The warning signs for getting diabetes are:
- Being 50 yrs of age or older.
- Having a mother, father, sister or brother with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Having high blood pressure.
- Being physically inactive.
- Overweight or having a high body mass index.
- Having had gestational diabetes.
If you get diabetes, this is what your life could look like:
- High risk for having a heart attack or stroke.
- Having high blood pressure or hypertension.
- A risk of developing Glaucoma and other eye complications to include blindness.
- Kidney disease.
- Skin infections and complications.
Want to stop this from happening to you? Join a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program that can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. Even if you are at risk you do not have to get diabetes. In addition, the program can lower your risk of having a heart attack or stroke, improve your health overall and help you feel more energetic.
Lisa Burbage of Wellness Beyond Fifty will lead the Centers for Disease Control and National Diabetes Prevention Program in Charleston. The objective is making lifestyle changes without deprivation and with results that last. This program starts Monday evening, April 10th at 6:30 pm. There will be 16 weekly sessions and six monthly follow-ups. For more information, please click here or email Lisa Burbage by clicking here.