Volunteers are the key to making a horse driving event successful! We welcome and greatly appreciate volunteers from all backgrounds and levels of experience. Volunteering is a great way to give back to your community, make new friends, and develop interpersonal skills all while having fun doing it! Prior volunteer experience or horse experience is not necessary. The volunteer coordinator will provide a brief to all volunteers. You can volunteer for two days, one day, half days etc. We have many different volunteer assignments such as parking and grounds support, scribes, wheel measurers, score runners, gate attendants, safety check, course spotters, cone-setters, timers, and start/end of marathons sections.
This horse event will occur January 14 and 15, 2017 at Black Prong Equestrian Center in Bronson, Florida. Bronson is 45 minutes Gainesville and 2 hrs from both Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona. On-site camping and lodging is available for a fee.
- Descriptions of type of volunteers needed:
- Cones Backup Timer: Uses a stopwatch to time drivers starting and finishing cones. Time is used when electronic system does not provide a time. Keeps a record of the official time for each competitor.
- Cones Scribe: Keeps a written record of everything the judge is calling out for each competitor on a cones score sheet. Records the official time and any penalties assigned by the judge.
- Cones Setter: Responsible for measuring pairs of cones on the course and precisely placing the cones at the measurement provided for each competitor. Uses a measuring stick. Cones setters will do significant bending and walking.
- Cones Steward/Warmup Coordinator: Coordinates the flow of competitors from the warmup area and into the cones competition area. Verifies competitor number with order of go and judge using a radio.
- Dressage Gate: Responsible for directing competitor into the ring at the appropriate time and replacing the entrance rail and letter A. Requires some bending and lifting.
- Dressage Scribe: Responsible for writing down all judge scores and comments for each competitor. Must have previous driven dressage scribing experience and familiarity with all tests used at the show.
- Dressage Steward/Warmup: Responsible for coordinating the flow of competitors from the warmup area to the ring in the appropriate order at the proper time.
- Obstacle Support: Responsible for either being an observer, scribe, timer, or backup timer/hold timer.
- Score Running/Hospitality: Responsible for delivering hospitality items to volunteers and officials, as well as collecting scoresheets from dressage and cones and delivering sheets to scoring office.
- Wheel Measurement: Responsible for measuring wheel widths for each competitor carriage prior to dressage. Measurements are recorded in centimeters with a stick or measuring tape and radioed to the cones judge. Safety checklists are collected.