Actions and Detail Panel
Video Game Law 2017 Summer
Thu, Jun 1, 2017, 2:00 PM – Sat, Jun 3, 2017, 3:30 PM PDT
More than half of all Americans play video games - whether through a browser, mobile device or game console - and spending on interactive content now rivals that for TV and movies. Video games are great fun and big business, but what are the legal implications?
1. How has copyright law evolved in an era when a hit iPhone game can spawn a lookalike competitor within months?
2. Should trademark law prevent a developer from featuring a real-world nightclub in their game?
3. As games become stunningly realistic, when does a depiction of a college quarterback or rock star violate their right of publicity?
We will answer these questions and more as we explore the legal issues surrounding how video games are developed, distributed and consumed. After learning the relevant law, we will assume the mantle of in-house counsel and conduct an “advise the CEO” exercise.
Instructor has indicated that no books will be assigned.
Instructor: Todd Smithline
Meeting Time: ThF 2:00PM-5:10PM & Sa 9:00AM-3:30PM
Meeting Location: TBA/TBA
Course Start: June 01, 2017
Course End: June 03, 2017
*Subject to change slightly. For the most current course description and details, see the Summer 2017 Schedule of Classes.
PLE participants may receive a full refund of the registration fee, minus a $100 cancellation fee per course, by submitting a cancellation request by email to the PLE program administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 30 days before the start of the quarter in which the course occurs. Refunds will not be given if cancellation request is received later than 30 days before the quarter begins. See our Policies page for more details.
If you register for 3 or more courses this summer, you qualify for a $1000 discount on your third course.*
To claim your discount:
- You register and pay for your first 2 courses
- You email email@example.com with the subject “Course Discount” and a message including your name, the titles of the courses for which you are already registered, and the title of the 3rd course you wish to add
- We email you a promo code
- You enter the promo code when you pay for your 3rd course
*This discount only applies to the 3rd course you enroll in during a single summer, it can be used only for the purchase of the 3rd course, and cannot be applied retroactively.