San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
VerdeXchange Arizona 2014
Toward Greatness: May 1-2 in Phoenix
VerdeXchange Arizona 2014 was a global business conference sponsored by Phoenix Business Journal, O'Neil Printing, Growth Nation, Global Chamber and more leading regional businesses, with over 400 leaders discussing 280 regional growth and sustainability projects. Learn more here.
Speakers included...Dr. Henry Tazelaar (Mayo Clinic), Don Henninger, (Phx Business Journal), Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Sherry Henry (Arizona Tourism), Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild, Jeff Perelman (Sundt Construction), ...
...Kimber Lanning (Local First Arizona), Susan Bitter-Smith (Arizona Corporation Commission), Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane, Colin Tetreault (ASU), Glenn Williamson (CABC), Hank Marshall (UK & Phoenix), ...
...Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (AZ-09), Nogales Mayor Arturo Garino, Leisa Brug (Arizona), Shannon Scutari (Scutari & Company), Marty Shultz (Brownstein HFS), Ray Cashen (Cashen Realty Advisors), Paul Blue (City of Phoenix), ...
...Steve Zylstra (Arizona Technology Council), Dr. Pete He (Henkel/Dial), Bruno Sarda (Dell), Tom Sadler (AZ Sports and Tourism Authority), Melissa Sanderson (Freeport McMoran), Sean Sweat (Intel), Steve Betts (Chanen Construction), ...
...Jaime Casap (Google); Doug Bruhnke (Global Chamber & Growth Nation); Alex Laky (ARCHSOL); James Larson (VA Hosp.); Wylie Bearup (ASU), Scott Smith (Past Mayor of Mesa and Candidate for Governor), ...
...John Huppenthal (Arizona Dept of Education); Michael Grossman (Green Chamber of Commerce); Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers; Mexico Consul General Roberto Rodriguez Hernandez; George Brooks (RighTrac); James MacAdam (City of Tucson); Michael J. Lacey (AZ Dept of Water Resources), ...
...Secretary of State Ken Bennett, Dr. Lattie Coor (Center for the Future of AZ), Steve Purves (Maricopa Integrated Health System), Silvia Urrutia (Raza Dev. Fund), Councilman Daniel Valenzuela (D5), Lisa Parks (Phoenix Spokes People)...
...Steve Chucri (AZ Restaurant Association), Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05), Kris Mayes (ASU Energy Policy Innovation Council), Todd Sanders (Phoenix Chamber), Christine Jones (Candidate for Governor), Debra Sydenham (Urban Land institute AZ), Margie Emmermann (AZ-Mexico Commission) and many more.
Join VerdeXchange to enhance regional collaboration, help businesses tap in to new opportunities, and create a more sustainable economic future.
“VerdeXchange offers a wonderful platform to collaborate and exchange ideas on boosting global competitiveness and economic prosperity while increasing trade and promoting sustainability." - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer
May 1-2 Conference (with 4/30 & 5/1 VIP Receptions)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* April 30 Verde VIP Welcome Reception 5:30-7:30pm / Speakers/VIPs Only
DIRTT Environmental Solutions / 836 E University Drive, Phoenix 85034
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* May 1 Registration & Networking / Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel / 340 N 3rd Street, Phoenix 85004 / Valley of the Sun Ballroom / 7:30-8:00am
Day 1 Breakfast: "Dreaming of a Great Future" 8:00-9:00am
Welcome by Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton
Keynote Steve Purves, President/CEO of Maricopa Integrated Health System
May 1 Sessions 9:20-10:30am
1) Healthcare - "Healthcare Transforms Lives and Our Community" Introduction by Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane; Moderator/Overview Dr. Henry D. Tazelaar, Department Chair, Laboratory, Medicine and Pathology at Mayo Clinic; James Larson, Energy Manager at US Department of Veteran Affairs; Ryan Abbott, Market Specialization Leader Sustainability at Sundt Construction; Milissa Chanice, East Valley Director of Environment of Care at Chandler Regional & Mercy Gilbert Medical Centers; Lori Aune, Director of Operations at ARCHSOL
2) Education - "The Role of Sustainable Education: Building of Future Leaders" / Moderator Dr. Hank Radda, Provost at Grand Canyon University; Intro by Claudio Coria, Super. of Alhambra High School; Keynote John Huppenthal, Superintendent of Public Instruction at Arizona Department of Education; Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton; Councilman Daniel Valenzuela, City of Phoenix (District 5); Kent Scribner, Superintendent at Phoenix Union School District
3) Canada - "The Next Phase of Arizona-Canada Growth" / Moderator Glenn Williamson, CEO at Canada Arizona Business Council; Mike Humes, EVP at Phoenix Coyotes; Don Satiroff, SVP, Business Banking Manager at BMO Harris Bank; Robert K. Rogers, President at Rogers Law, Ltd; Ed Hadley, President Southwest Region at Walton Development
May 1 Sessions 10:50am-12noon
4) Healthy Living - "Best Practices for Great Living Communities" Introduction Maryanne Weiss, President at Gustare Ltd; Moderator Diane Brossart, President/CEO at Arizona Forward; Keynote Arizona State Senator Bob Worsley; Jon Ford, Director Communications at St. Luke’s Health Initiatives; Joan Koerber-Walker, President/CEO at AZBio; Avein Tafoya, CEO at Adelante Healthcare
5) Finance/Investment - "Investment Fuels New Jobs and Growth" / Intro Theresa Brice, CEO at LISC; Moderator Brion Crum, Financial Advisor at Merrill Lynch; Dillan Knudson, VP at BBVA Compass; Rich Endicott, President at Biltmore Bank of Arizona; James Feild, Real Estate Development Executive at Bank of America Community Development; Vince Thelander, SVP, Sr. Client Manager at Bank of America Merrill Lynch; Andrew Gordon, President at Arizona Multibank
6) Mexico - "Ramping Up Business Between Mexico and Arizona" / Moderator Margie Emmermann, Executive Director of Arizona-Mexico Commission, State of Arizona; Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild; Minister Flavio Díaz Mirón Álvarez at ProMexico; Cliff Schertz, President/ CEO at Tiempo Development
Day 1 Lunch: "Groundbreaking Community Developments" Noon-1:25pm
Moderator Rick McCartney, In Media Company
Keynotes 1) Canalscape / Scottsdale Waterfront by Paul Katsenes, Scottdale CED Exec. Director & Dustin Gardiner, AZ Republic; 2) Water Tech. Innovation Cluster by James MacAdam, Tucson Policy/Planning Specialist; 3) Phoenix Biomedical Campus by Jeremy Legg, Phoenix Economic Development Program Manager; 4) A Delicious Downtown by Gilbert Mayor John Lewis; 5) Regional and International Development at MAG by Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers, MAG EDC Chair and Youngtown Mayor Michael Levault, MAG Regional Council Chair
May 1 Sessions 1:45-2:55pm
7) Construction/Architecture - "Let's Build Sustainable for People" Moderator Alex Laky, President of ARCHSOL; Hamilton Espinosa, Director Healthcare Core at DPR Construction; Kristen Parris, Assistant Professor at ASU, School of Sustainable / Engineering Built Environments; Clifford R. Paul, Principal at PK Associates; Don Keuth, President at Phoenix Community Alliance
8) Sustainability - "Green Is an Essential Element of a Great Community" Moderator Michael Grossman, Chairman at Green Chamber of Commerce; Bruno Sarda, Global Sustainability Operations at Dell Corporation; Mike Wallace, Managing Director at BrownFlynn; Brian Thurston, Business Development Manager at Waste Management; George Brooks, Founder/COO at RighTrac; Michael Fraley, Founder/CEO at PanAridus
9) Global Engagement - "Arizona Can Be a Positive Global Story" / Introduction by Doug Bruhnke, Global Chamber; Moderator Brett Johnson, Partner at Snell & Wilmer LLP; Sherry Henry, Executive Director at Arizona Department of Tourism; Melissa Sanderson, VP of International Affairs at Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold; Alan Levin, Owner at Port of Tucson; Jennifer Vollman, Executive Director at New Global Citizens
* VerdeXchange AZ End of Day 1 2:55pm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* May 1 Verde VIP Sustainability Reception 3:30-5:30pm / Speakers/VIPs Only
Hosted by Consul General Roberto Rodriguez Hernandez at Consulate of Mexico / 320 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix 85004
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* May 2 Registration & Networking / Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel / 340 N 3rd Street, Phoenix 85004 / Valley of the Sun Ballroom / 7:30-8:00am
Day 2 Breakfast: "Iterating Education" 8:00-9:00am
Keynote Jaime Casap, Global Education Evangelist at Google; Introduction by Doug Bruhnke, Global Chamber & Growth Nation
May 2 Sessions 9:20-10:30am
10) Urban Planning - "Painting a Great Community Artwork" / Intro by Paul Blue, Manager at City of Phoenix; Moderator Jeff Perelman, Sr., VP Strategy & Business Dev. at Sundt Construction; Debra Z. Sydenham, Executive Director at Urban Land Institute Arizona; Molly Carson, VP Development, Ryan Companies; Philip Weddle, President at Weddle Gilmore
11) Water - "Water Is Life - Will it Keep Flowing?" / Moderator Sandra Fabritz-Whitney, Director of Water Strategy at Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold; Michael J. Lacey, Director of AZ Department of Water Resources; Joe Gysel, President at EPCOR Water (USA); Michael Irlbeck, Director at Abengoa; Tom Darcy, Sr. Consultant, Public Sector at IBM; Bill Staudenmaier, Partner at Snell & Wilmer
12) Tech/Manufacturing - "Creating More Tech and Manufacturing Jobs" Moderator David Abel, Chairman at VerdeXchange Institute; Bob Rasmussen, Director of Technology at Honeywell; Jeff Martin, CEO of Yulex; Pete He, Senior Research Fellow at Henkel/Dial; Dan Franklin, MEP Executive Director at AZ Commerce Authority
May 2 Sessions 10:50am-12noon
13) Real Estate - "Real Estate Helps Create Great Communities" / Moderator Ray Cashen, President of Cashen Realty Advisors; Intro by Sedona Mayor Rob Adams; Reed Porter, President at Ryland Homes; Councilman Sal DiCiccio, District 6, City of Phoenix; Keith Earnest, EVP at RED Development; Ben Limmer, Capital Planning Manager at Valley Metro
14) Energy - "Powering Arizona and the West" / Moderator Leisa Brug, Director of the Governor's Office on Energy Policy for the State of Arizona; Stacey Crowley, Director of Regional Affairs at California ISO; Kris Mayes, Co-Director of the Energy Policy Innovation Council; Tim Simon, former Commissioner California Public Utilities Commission
15) Transportation - "Connectivity: The Key to a Successful Economy and a Sustainable Future" / Moderator Shannon Scutari, President at Scutari & Company; Tom Sadler, President/CEO at Arizona Tourism & Sports Authority; Victor Vidales, CEO Re/MAX New Heights Realty; Pat Loftus, Sr. VP Law and Administration at TTX Company; Sean Sweat, Supply Planner at Intel Corporation; Lisa Parks, Founder at Phoenix Spokes People
Day 2 Lunch: "Mayors Lunch: Attracting the Right Business" Noon-1:25pm
Moderator: Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton
Panelists Gubernatorial Candidate Scott Smith; Representative Matt Salmon (AZ-05); Glenn Williamson (CEO at Canada Arizona Business Council)
May 2 Sessions 1:45-2:55pm
16) Public Private Partnerships - "PPP's Role in Shaping Our Community" Intro by Surprise Mayor Sharon Wolcott; Wylie Bearup, Executive Director at Del E. Webb School of Construction, ASU; Gail Lewis, Director, Office of PC Initiatives & Int'l Affairs at AZ Dept. of Transportation; Mary Peters, former US Sec Transportation & Pres. Mary Peters Consulting; Karla Petty, AZ Division Administrator, Federal Highway Administration; Eric Anderson, Director of Transportation at MAG; Ken Smith, Sr. VP, Principal at HDR Engineering; Jeff Williamson, Sr. VP, Division Mgr, Heavy Civil Construction at Sundt Construction
17) Solar - "Making Arizona the Solar Capital" / Mod. Kirk Busch, Chairman at AZ4Solar; Rick Buss, Town Manager at Gila Bend; Leisa Brug, Director of the Governor's Office on Energy Policy at the State of Arizona; Michelle De Blasi, Co Chair Arizona Energy Consortium, Environmental Attorney at Gammage & Burnham; Lon Huber, Special Projects Advisor at Residential Utility Consumer Office (RUCO); Jim Tyler, Former First Solar VP & EVP of DEPCOM POWER
18) International Economic Development Discussion - "Growing Business in a Global Arizona" / Moderator Keith Galbut at Galbut & Galbut; Mexico Consul General Roberto Rodriguez Hernandez; Honorary Consul Glenn Williamson (Canada); Honorary Consul Bob Walkup (Korea); Honorary Consul Hank Marshall (UK); Honorary Consul Kelly Moeur (Japan); Todd Sanders, CEO at Phoenix Chamber of Commerce; Barry Broome, CEO at GPEC; Sandra Watson, CEO at AZ Commerce Authority; Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers, MAG EDC Chair
VerdeXchange AZ Wrap-up Session 3:15-4:50pm
19) Verde Visionary Panel: "Our Shared Future with Sustainable Growth"
Opening by Marty Shultz, Sr. Policy Director at Browstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
Roundtable Moderator Don Henninger, Publisher at the Phoenix Business Journal; Speakers Susan Bitter Smith, Commissioner at Arizona Corporation Commission; Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, AZ-9; Felipe Garcia, EVP at Visit Tucson; Steve Betts, President at Chanen Construction; Colin Tetreault, ASU School of Sustainability; Kimber Lanning, Executive Director at Local First Arizona; Glenn Hamer, President/CEO at Arizona Chamber; Steve Chucri, President/CEO at Arizona Restaurant Association
Closing by Dr. Lattie Coor, CEO/Chairman at Center for the Future of Arizona
* Conference Closes at 4:55pm
When & Where
VerdeXchange Arizona is an annual collaborative conference with regional leaders discussing and executing on the creation of great sustainable communities. Attend VerdeXchange Arizona to meet and personally connect with leaders on over 150 key sustainability projects in urban planning, energy, solar, transportation, water, education, public private partnerships, investment, exports, technology, the cities, the states, real estate, life sciences, manufacturing, agriculture and international.
VerdeXchange Los Angeles was founded to provide a forum to directly address challenges and opportunities through building of an international community of like-minded people shaping the green economy. It is that successful legacy over the past years on which VerdeXchange Arizona is founded.