VXArizona: People + Projects + Ideas = Business
Invest a Day. See the Future. Tap In.
+ 70 More
Looking for the 2014 event? CLICK HERE
VXArizona is a business-centric day-long conference in Scottsdale Oct 8, 2013 focused on the people, projects and ideas growing Arizona and the West.
Attend to meet and personally connect with 75 speakers on 135 projects in technology, urban planning, healthcare, tourism, exports, energy, solar, transportation, water, education, public private partnerships, manufacturing, the cities, the states, real estate, life sciences and international.
Until the website is up, see follow us at VerdeXchange AZ on Facebook.
Join leaders from 17 Arizona cities and hundreds of regional firms... The Sundt Companies, Mayo Clinic, SolarCity, SRP, APL, SuperShuttle, Southwest Gas, Plaza Companies, Hensel Phelps... and Governor Jan Brewer, Secretary of State Ken Bennett, Mayor Scott Smith, Rep. Sinema, Rep. Salmon, Consul Generals, and 75 visionary speakers to discuss more sustainable growth.
Very special thanks to our visionary 1st year sponsors... Phoenix Business Journal, ARCHSOL (The Architectural Solutions Team), Grand Canyon University, Country of Canada, SRP, SuperShuttle, Arizona Commerce Authority, Brown Mackie College, DIRTT Environmental Solutions, Country of Japan, In Business Magazine, NetworkingPhoenix.com, The University of Utah, HYATT House, VerdeXchange.org, Gustare Ltd, Global Chamber and Growth Nation
Click Here to Watch the Introductory Video
"At no other conference that I have attended have I made more important contacts than at VerdeXchange. That is why JPL will be a sponsor this year."
- Dean Wiberg, JPL Manager, Commercial Technology Partnerships Office
Monday, October 7
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM VXArizona VIP Reception @ DIRTT (Phoenix)
* Welcome VIP's: Speakers, Panelists, Consul Generals
- The VerdeXchange Arizona VIP Reception is SOLD OUT
- DIRTT Environmental Solutions / 836 E University Dr / Phoenix / 85034
Tuesday, October 8
7:00 AM – 6:00 PM VXArizona Conference @ SkySong (Scottsdale)
7:00 AM – 8:00 AM Country & Sponsor Tables + Great Wall of Cities
* VXAZ2013 Breakfast / Program Handout / Networking
- Phoenix Business Journal Mini iPad Give-away Sign-up
- At ASU SkySong / 1475 N Scottsdale Rd / Scottsdale / 85257
8:00 AM – 8:45 AM Opening & Speakers (Both Rooms)
8:00 AM - 8:10 AM "Welcome" and Opening
* State Welcome: Arizona Governor Jan Brewer
* City Welcome: Host City Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane
* Organizers: Maryanne Weiss, Gustare Ltd / Doug Bruhnke, Growth Nation and Global Chamber / David Abel, VerdeXchange.org
8:10 AM - 8:20 AM "Sustainability, Infrastructure and Our Future"
* Opening Speaker: Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett
8:20 AM - 8:25 AM Introducing the State Ambassadors
* Student Scholarships: Sponsored by ARCHSOL, The Architectural Solutions Team
8:25 AM - 8:35 AM "Public Private Partnerships
* Speaker: Brian Mueller, President - Grand Canyon University
8:35 AM – 8:45 AM "Tech Transfer and U-to-Industry Collaboration"
* Speaker: Dr. Thomas Parks, VP of Research - The University of Utah
8:45 AM - 8:50 AM Short Break
- Green Track A: Water / Energy / Solar
- Blue Track B: Urban Planning / Transportation I & II
8:50 AM – 9:50 AM Track A (Enterprise) or B (Convergence)
Track A: Water Panel (Enterprise Room)
Moderator: Park Howell, President - Park & Company
Overview: Michael J. Lacey, Deputy Director - AZ Dept Water Resources
- Kathy Ferris, Executive Director - AZ Municipal Water Users Association
- Matt Niemerski, Western Water Policy Director - American Rivers
- Sharon B. Megdal, Director, Water Resources Research Center - U of A
- Troy Day, Vice President of Operations - EPCOR Water
8:50 AM – 9:50 AM
Track B: Urban Planning Panel (Convergence Room)
Moderator: Jeff Perelman, Chief Growth Strategist - The Sundt Companies
Overview: Steve Betts, President - Chanen Constr. & Past Chair, ULI AZ
- Don Keuth, President - Phoenix Community Alliance & CEO - DTDC
- Shannon Scutari, Director - Sustainable Communities Collaborative
- Silvia Urrutia, Director - RAZA Development Fund
9:50 AM – 10:20 AM Speakers (Both Rooms)
9:50 AM - 10:00 AM "Education for Sustainable Regional Growth"
* Speaker: Eileen Klein, President - Arizona Board of Regents
Introduction by Steve Zylstra, CEO - Arizona Technology Council
10:00 AM - 10:10 AM "World-Class Healthcare is a Key Ingredient"
* Speaker: Dr. Henry D. Tazelaar, Chair, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology - Mayo Clinic
Introduction by Marty Shultz - Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
10:10 AM - 10:20 AM "Sustainability Is Fuel for Arizona's Growth"
* Speaker: Fred DuVal, Vice President of Clean Energy Fuels; 2014 Candidate for Governor
10:20 AM - 10:50 AM Networking Break
10:50 AM – 11:50 AM Track A (Enterprise) or B (Convergence)
Track A: Energy Panel (Enterprise Room)
Moderator/Overview: Leisa Brug, AZ Governor's Energy Policy Advisor
- John Hetrick, Manager, Sustainability and Policy, SRP
- Rep. Tom Forese, AZ LD #17; Chair AZ House Commerce Committee
- Tracey LeBeau, Acting Manager, Western Area Power Administration
- Joe Varela, Manager of Energy Solutions, Southwest Gas
10:50 AM – 11:50 AM
Track B: Transportation I Panel (Convergence Room)
Moderator: David Abel, President - VerdeXchange
Overview: Marty Shultz, Sr Policy Dir - Browstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
- David Hensley, Deputy Aviation Director - Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport
- Judy Ross, Deputy Aviation Director - Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport
- Mayor Sharon Wolcott - City of Surprise
- Mike Kies, Assistant Director - Arizona Dept of Transportation
11:50 AM – 12:50 PM Track A or B (continued)
Track A: Solar Panel (Enterprise)
Moderator: Glenn Hamer, President/CEO - AZ Chamber of Commerce
Overview: Patrick O'Grady, Managing Editor - Phoenix Business Journal
- Craig Robb, SVP and Managing Director - Zions Energy Link
- Meghan Nutting, Director, Policy and Electricity Markets - Solar City
- Professor Joseph Hui, CEO - Monarch Power
- Susan Bitter Smith, Commissioner - Arizona Corporation Commission
11:50 AM – 12:50 PM
Track B: Transportation II Panel (Convergence)
Moderator: John Barry, Comm. Air Service - Phx Mesa Gateway Airport
Overview: Bill Sheaffer, Executive Director - Valley of the Sun Clean Cities
- Alan Gildersleeve, General Manager, SuperShuttle Phoenix
- Benjamin Limmer, Manager Corridor/Facilities Planning - Valley Metro
- Bryan Amarel, Operations Manager - Hensel Phelps Construction
- Marc Sobelman, EV Charging - ACT (Advanced Charging Technologies)
12:50 PM - 1:30 PM Bento Lunch / Networking Break
1:30 PM – 1:50 PM Keynotes (Both Rooms - LIVE / Video)
1:30 PM - 1:40 PM "We Must Disagree on Sustainability, or Do We?"
* Speakers: Rep. Kyrsten Sinema and Rep. Matt Salmon
1:40 PM – 1:50 PM “Future Impact of Life Sciences"
* Speaker: Dave Bennett, Sr VP - NantHealth (a NantWorks Company)
Introduction by Joan Koerber-Walker, CEO - AZBio
1:50 PM – 2:50 PM (Both Rooms)
Track A and B: Mexico and Latin America Panel
Moderator/O'view: Margie Emmermann - Exec Dir, AZ-Mex Commission
- John Halikowski, Director - ADOT; Co-Chairman - TTCA Border Initiative
- Juan Carlos Briseño, Trade & Investment Commissioner - ProMexico
- Gary Lobaza, Executive VP and Managing Director - MTD Products
And additionally confirmed in attendance...
- Consul General Roberto Rodriguez - Country of Mexico
- Marisa Walker, SVP, Strategic Planning Infrastructure - AZ Commerce
2:50 PM – 3:50 PM (Both Rooms)
Track A and B: International Panel
Moderator: Doug Bruhnke, Founder - Growth Nation & Global Chamber
Overview: Gene Seroka, President (Americas) - APL
- Amanda Ho, Policy Advisor - Arizona Corporation Commission
- Colin Tetreault, Sr. Policy Advisor to City of Phoenix Mayor Stanton
- Glenn Williamson, Chairman - EPCOR; CEO - Canada-AZ Biz Council
- Mayor Scott Smith - City of Mesa; President - US Conference of Mayors
And additionally confirmed in attendance...
- Sherry Henry and Kiva Couchon - Arizona Department of Tourism
- Fernando Jimenez, VP, International - Arizona Commerce Authority
3:50 PM - 4:00 PM Short Break
4:00 PM – 4:20 PM (Both Rooms)
4:00 PM - 4:10 PM "Future Availability of Capital in Arizona to Grow"
* Speaker: Joseph Stewart - JP Morgan Chase
4:10 PM - 4:20 PM "The Next Generation of Regional Leadership"
* Speaker: Sharon Harper, CEO - Plaza Companies
4:20 PM – 5:10 PM (Both Rooms)
* Cavalcade of City Leaders: A Future View
Moderator: Barry Broome, CEO - Greater Phoenix Economic Council
City Leader: Hank Marshall, Economic Dev. Executive Officer, Phoenix
Facilitator: Maryanne Weiss with Mayors and City Managers and the Phoenix Business Journal
Top 17 Cities/Towns: Avondale, Casa Grande, Chandler, Flagstaff, Gilbert, Glendale, Goodyear, Maricopa, Mesa, Peoria, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Surprise, Tempe, Tucson, Youngtown and Yuma
Video on Cities and City Projects
LIVE Questions and Answers
5:10 PM – 5:20 PM (Both Rooms)
* Closing Remarks
Tablet Give-Away by Phoenix Business Journal
- VX2014 in Los Angeles Jan 26-28, 2014
- VXAZ2014 in Arizona 2014
5:20 PM – 6:00 PM (Both Rooms + More)
* Bonus Connecting Time / Follow-up Meetings
Call HYATT House (480)946-7700 / Register at our special rate by Sept 20
If you have issues getting the discounted rate ($125) online, call Lauren x513.
- AMS Renatus Investing
- Arizona Business Advancing Sustainability (AzBAS)
- Arizona Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Arizona Commerce Authority (ACA)
- Arizona Construction Association (AZCA)
- Arizona District Export Council (AzDEC)
- Arizona International Growth Group (AZIGG)
- Arizona Mexico Commission
- Arizona State University
- Arizona Technology Council
- Brown Mackie College
- Canada Arizona Business Council
- Cities of Avondale, Casa Grande, Chandler, Flagstaff, Glendale, Goodyear, Maricopa, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Tucson and Yuma
- Towns of Gilbert and Youngtown
- Country of Canada
- Country of Indonesia
- Country of Japan
- Country of Mexico
- Country of Singapore
- Global Chamber
- Grand Canyon University
- Greater Phoenix Economic Council
- In Business Magazine Greater Phoenix
- Maricopa Association of Governments
- Merrill Lynch (Brion Crum)
- Networking Phoenix
- Phoenix Business Journal
- Phoenix Committee on Foreign Relations (PCFR)
- Project Foundation
- Social Venture Partners Arizona
- State of Arizona
- Sustainable Communities Collaborative
- The Green Chamber
- Thunderbird School of Global Management
- UK Trade & Investment
- University of Arizona
- The University of Utah
- Urban Land Institute
- US Commercial Service
VXAZ2013 is brought to you by Maryanne Weiss (Gustare Ltd), David Abel (VerdeXchange.org) and Doug Bruhnke (Growth Nation & Global Chamber), supported by a legion of speakers, sponsors, countries and cities.
David Abel, also founder of SuperShuttle, created VerdeXchange in L.A. 6 years ago to provide a forum to promote growth of profitable business and the building of an international community of like-minded people shaping the green economy.
Join our speakers from business, government and other key organizations including The Sundt Companies, Mayo Clinic, Freeport McMoRan, NantWorks, Hensel Phelps Construction, JP Morgan Chase, Country of Mexico, Country of Canada, Country of Japan, Grand Canyon University, ASU, University of Arizona, The University of Utah, Arizona Board of Regents, GPEC, DIRTT Environmental Solutions, ARCHSOL, SuperShuttle, Arizona Mexico Commission, AZ Chamber, Arizona Corporation Commission, Phx Business Journal, PHX Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, SRP, Urban Land Institute, Canada Arizona Business Council, Growth Nation, Monarch Power, Southwest Gas, Western Area Power Administration, In Business Magazine, ADOT, Valley Metro, Transportation and Trade Corridor Alliance, ProMexico, APS and more...
“The VerdeXchange Conference will do for the green marketplace what the Sundance Film Festival did for the movie industry. Nowhere else do I see a confluence of the diverse range of sectors: energy, finance, transportation, public and private utilities, built environment planning and universities - all with the singular goal of delivering and capitalizing on clean and green products and services."
- Mickey Kantor, Former US Secretary of Commerce and Trade Secretary; Co-Chairman of the Pacific Council on International Policy
"Those attending the VerdeXchange Conference will hear firsthand about when and where the most interesting opportunities will be felt. I look forward to engaging with the leading executives in the public and private sector and learning how these marketmakers plan to meet the demand for breakthrough renewable technologies."
- Norman Mineta, Former U.S. Transportation Secretary
"Every year, VerdeXchange convenes LA's most important gathering of thought and action leaders - the people who are making a real difference, not only in California but around the world, in addressing the most urgent environmental, energy and technology issues of the day. Stimulating speakers inform and inspire. Ample networking opportunities allow for making connections that matter. You can't help but leave VX better equipped to change your world."
- David Fransen, Consul General of Canada