San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Let's make history!
Join us for the first annual VERBAL ASSAULT Poetry Slam!!
GRAND PRIZE: $500!!!
VERBAL ASSAULT is a quarterly event where poets compete for a $100 prize. Winners from each quarter's slam advance to the Grand Finals and a chance at the $500 Grand Prize!
Quarterly on the following dates:
March 15, 2014 -- Quarterly Slam: $100 Prize
June 21, 2014 -- Quarterly Slam: $100 Prize
September 20, 2014 -- Quarterly Slam: $100 Prize
December 20, 2014 -- Grand Finals: $500 Grand Prize
Soulful Emergence Art Gallery
2107 North Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
YOU! Poets from all over are eligible to compete in this slam. There is a 18 year old age limit to enter.
To enter, select the Poet's Registration for the date on which you wish to slam. The fee is $15 in advance, $25 at the door (due to the last minute day-of-event juggling that will need to occur with at-the-door registrations).
- There will be three (3) rounds of poetry with a maximum of 12 participating poets.
- Poets will draw numbers at random to determine the order of first round. Second round order is determined by scores, highest to lowest. Third round order is the reverse order of the second round.
- There will be five (5) judges. Judges will be selected by the Slam Organizers: OBM Studios, BUSS-Radio, and Soulful Emergence Art Gallery.
- After a sacrificial poet performs (to gauge the judging), judges will score each poet on a scale of 0 - 10 using decimal places to avoid a tie (ex: 4.7, 9.3, 7.1).
- The highest and lowest of the five scores will be tossed out and the middle three scores added to calculate the poet's score for the round (maximum of 30 points).
- Each poem must be of the poet's own construction.
- Each poet gests three (3) minutes plus ten (10) seconds (grace period) to recite one poem. If the poet goes over, points will be deducted as follows:
- 0.5 point will be deducted for every 10 seconds, or portion thereof, which the poet is over time --
- 3:10.1 - 3:19 deducts 0.5 point
- 3:20.0 - 3:29 deducts 1.0 point
- 3.30.0 - 3:39 deducts 1.5 points
- 3:40.0 - 3:49 deducts 2.0 points
- ...and so on; at 4:00 minutes the poet's score will be calculated but the poet will only be credited for half of the total s/he would have received.
- A poet's times begins as soon as they say anything on stage or engage the audience in any way.
- The poet may NOT use props, costumes, or musical instruments. This includes the removal of clothing.
- The poem can only be performed by one person.
- During the Grand Finals (December 20, 2014), poets are NOT ALLOWED to read from paper or use electronic devices such as laptops/tablets/smartphones. A point penalty will be assessed if you use paper or electronic devices in any way.
- No penalty is assessed if a poet uses paper or electronic devices during the semi-final quarterly slams, specifically March 20, 2014, June 21, 2014, and September 20, 2014.
- Registration is open starting January 7, 2014, and will continue until the maximum number of participants is reached. Registration is closed once the maximum number of poets per date sign up.
- Quarterly Slam: The poet with the highest overall score out of the three round winners is that quarter's semi-final prize winner ($100).
- Grand Prize Slam: Winning poets from each round will be invited to the Grand Finals (3 poets per quarter). There will be a maximum of 9 poets competing for the $500 Grand Prize in December.
- The draw will happen at a pre-determined time shortly before the slam. In case of inclement weather, we will be flexible. If you signed up and are not there to draw, it will be up to your competitors to decide if you will take the "one-slot." MAJORITY RULE
- Before a poet can participate in the event, s/he must sign the Slam Agreement indicating s/he can compete for the prize and the Grand Prize, read and understand the rules, and will practice good sportsmanship throughouth the process.
- Poets performing poems not of their own construction will be disqualified from the event no matter the score. If the poet is later vindicated, mangement will return that person's entry fee only.
- Poets performing any material deemed offensive such as as racist, homophobic, pedophilic, or threatening to the well-being of others will be interrupted, removed from the state, and disqualified. Their performance will not be scored nor will their fees be refunded. The mangement will not provide any protection for you for your views in the venue or off-site. Freedom of speech comes with some catches...
- No poet shall make themselves familiar with a judge by actively courting (speaking to judges between rounds) through anything more than eye contact (or do not physically touch judges during poems). The poet will not engage a judge negatively through rude remaks, threats or other unsportsman-like behavior.
If you are not a poet, or you are not a slam poet, then join us in the audience! We can't have a poetry slam without the audience. You all give the poets energy and fuel their drive to win. You can help with the judges' job of scoring by showing your like (or polite dislike) of a poet's work through applause, snapping, and respectful verbal agreement.
Best of all... Buy your tickets in advance and save $3! Tickets for the audience are $7 in advance and $10 at the door.
Whether you are a poet or someone who loves spoken word, come on out and join us for what promises to be a battle of words and wisdom!! Share your energy and leave uplifted...
Soulful Emergence Art Gallery
2107 North Charles Street
3RD EYE SOULFUL ART COLLABORATIONS
Music, writing, visual art...
All can be soul healing and fulfilling and these three organizations team up to show you how. By bringing the beauty of spoken word, which often begins on a poet's notebook as written words, into the beauty of a space dedicated to visual and written art. OBM Studios, a full-service artist mangement organization and recording studio, BUSS-Radio which Brings the Underground Sounds of Baltiimore's independent artists to the Surface through its Internet radio station, and the Soulful Emergence Art Gallery which brings you paintings and other artwork depicting women in a positive light -- paintings which cover up words of intention etched first onto the canvas -- have come together to bring you the 3RD EYE Saturday Slam.