Actions and Detail Panel
UX Workshop: Creating customer personas
Fri, April 21, 2017, 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM PDT
What is this workshop about?
Developing personas is a well-known tactic to identify common types of customers. However, traditional personas often require months of time, customer research, and data analysis to create.
In this workshop, we explore proto-personas: a variant of Personas created by Cooper, refined by Jeff Gothelf, used at places like Adobe, and included in terrific books like "UX Strategy" (by Jamie Levy). Proto-personas leverage a team’s collective knowledge of their existing customer base, and in a fraction of the time needed to develop personas using a traditional approach. The goal remains the same: establish alignment with your team as to who your customers are, how they behave, and what their pain points are.
Proto-personas are an excellent starting point to begin the evaluation your product, design hypotheses, and marketing pages through the eyes of your customers.
What will you be able to do after this workshop?
Whether you're learning the basics or a seasoned veteran, you're sure to walk away from this hands-on workshop with useful strategies to plan and design incredible digital products. You will learn techniques and skills that can be immediately applied to your existing projects:
- Use a framework to create personas: Learn a framework to quickly create personas from actual customers.
- Rank your personas across spectrums: Better understand how to design for – and speak to – your users by understanding their common behavioral traits.
- Align your team on specific personas: Lead a collaborative group activity to determine patterns in your team’s initial personas.
- Generate proto-persona artifacts: Create final proto-personas that your team can use as a North Star to reference future in product or marketing decisions.
At the end of the day, you’ll be ready to lead a proto-persona workshop for your next project!
Who should attend this workshop?
We've designed this workshop specifically for those with a few years of experience in UX, as well as those who are just starting out.
- UX Designers: Learn to understand the context of how your users interact with your system.
- Product Managers: Articulate your knowledge of your customer with your team.
- Sales team: Learn the various types of customers, and how to talk with each one.
- Content Strategists: Uncover the attitudes and behaviors of your customers, and the best way to communicate to them with impact.
- Startup Founders: Establish a model of your earliest customers to add focus to your MVP.
Brian “Bim” Bimschleger is the Head of Strategy and leads client services at Arthur, a product strategy and UX design studio in San Diego. Bim, a certified Scrum Master, has a knack for unraveling complex problems, leading teams and helping others make their digital products easier to use.
Across several agencies, he has followed his passion by building and scaling products in telecom, global application-to-person (A2P) messaging, agile development, and source code management (SCM) industries. Outside of work, he loves the Patriots, whiteboards, and beach life.
Here’s the plan for the day of the workshop:
- 9:15am: Check-in and Coffee.
- 9:30am: Introduction and warm-up
- 9:45am: Generate and share initial personas
- 10:30am: Define spectrums of knowledge, skills, or abilities
- 11:00am: Break
- 11:15am: Plot and consolidate initial personas into proto-personas
- 12:45pm: Wrap-up and Q&A
- 1:00pm: All done!
What do I need to bring to this workshop?
Honestly, not much. Most of our activities will be hands-on, and we'll provide the supplies.
What is the refund policy?
Booked your ticket, but your plans changed? We get it...stuff happens. We'll offer refunds, no questions asked.
This is an half-day workshop. What's the food situation?
We’ll have coffee for you in the mornings. The workshop ends at lunch, and there are a variety of locations across the street from WeWork.
Are there discounts available for non-profit organizations or military?
Of course. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code.