Actions and Detail Panel
Usability Engineering for Technical Writing | May 4-5 | Houston, TX
Thu, May 4, 2017, 8:00 AM – Fri, May 5, 2017, 4:30 PM
What is this training about?
This workshop is about engineering usability into enabling documents such as procedures, standards, guidelines and technical manuals. It applies to any document that is developed for the purpose of driving or guiding a behavior. All content is purely based on the sciences of human cognition, learning and behaviour patterns as well as psycholinguistics.
If you write anything to enable anyone, this workshop is for you. This workshop is for managers of writing teams as well as technical writers. To date we have certified over 2,000 specialists in Canada, USA and Europe.
2-day Interactive learning environment with group dynamics and many exercises.
Fully inclusive, including lunch for both days.
Each day from 8am to 4pm
Each team works with their own flip chart and all skills building exercises are done in teams as well. Frequently we compare the team results and examine various usability aspects. This workshop is a rich and interactive learning experience you will not forget.
What you will learn
You will learn how to integrate optimal usability from a scientific behavioral perspective.
- Users, Readers and Usability Engineering: User behaviors differ from reader behaviors. Enabling documents must align with user behaviors to measurably reduce the risk of performance errors.
- Navigable Designs: Users need to navigate to answers, not search. Enabling documents strategically embed cognitive links to facilitate navigation.
- Voice, Language and Reading Grade: Enabling documents must conform to specified usability grade levels. This measurably reduces the risk of comprehension errors.
- Using Notation and Chunking Techniques: Enabling documents require cognitive notation techniques that support the message. Learn how to apply the correct notation when required.
- The Science of Usability: Enabling documents must employ comprehension controls. Comprehension controls reinforce behaviors to minimize the risk of performance errors.
- User Questions and Document Types: Enabling documents answer user questions. Learn to answer questions you never hear. Learn to anticipate user questions and apply the best answer strategy.
- Basic Usability Engineering for Procedures, Policies, Standards etc: Enabling documents such as procedures, processes, policies etc. must be mapped to match user question/answer patterns.
- Usability Auditing and Workflow: Check your enabling documents for consistency and human factors compliance using the U-Map audit sheet.
- Usability Mapping Emails: As recommended by the International Association for Business Communicators (IABC).
- Quiz: Reinforce what you've learned about usability engineering of behavior guiding documentation. This quiz as another learning experience.
What you get
You will be rewarded with skills for a lifetime plus:
- Free lunch (please indicate dietary requirements)
- Exercise book – 160 pages in color with countless examples and exercises
- Audit sheets
- Framed Certificate and Registration as Usability Mapping Document Developer
What to bring
- A willingness to debate and engage – to understand is to challenge
- A love for life – Usability is about people
- A smile from ear to ear