Saturday, November 9, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM (CST)
Vernon Hills, IL
up2us is hosting a free training for all coaches to address the issues of violence, abuse and inequality in our community. Together we explore how we can ‘TEAM UP’ to bring about cultural change. This program focuses on adults as allies and how this important relationship can inspire our youth to change attitudes and behaviors that maintain violence, abuse and inequality. The Lake County ROE of education is offering 3 x CPDUs for this training.
Session One: up2us -Transforming bystanders into upstanders
up2us is an interactive program that:
- unveils the societal influences that contribute to a culture where violence, abuse and inequality is tolerated.
- Teaches QUESTION •SUPPORT •INTERRUPT as a tool to change that culture for the better.
- lays the foundation for conversations about what it means to have a healthy self-image specifically regarding gender in our society today.
Session Two: Coaching Boys into Men*
*this program is beneficial for and applicable to both boys and girls
‘We teach players that honor and respect are keys to a team playing a game. How can we not teach them that honor and respect are even more important in their lives”-Tubby Smith-head coach University of Minnesota.
CBIM equips coaches with tools to help young athletes build respectful, non-violent relationships and through communication to achieve the following goals:
- learn to treat women with respect
- understand that violence never equals strength
- use this knowledge to become role models
You will be provided with a CBIM toolkit
When & Where
Up2Us Men Against Abuse
up2us is a coalition of community members and organizations that work to end all forms of gender violence, abuse and inequality.
Coalition organizations: Gurnee Counseling Center, Zacharias Sexual abuse Center, A Safe Place
Partners: 19thJudicial Circuit Family Violence Coordinating Council, State’s Attorney’s Office, Lake County Regional Office of Education