San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Tri-Masters Invitational Kids Triathlon
The Transamerica Chicago Triathlon is proud to announce the return of a Chicago endurance institution: the Tri-Masters Invitational Kids Triathlon! The event will be held in Chicago's beautiful South Shore neighborhood at 63rd Street Beach.
This fundraiser event is open to the public and supports the Tri-Masters Sports Initiative Program. Founded in Chicago 1992 by triathlete Bernard Lyles, Tri-Masters helps fight childhood obesity and encourages a healthy lifestyle, self-discipline and teamwork through the sport of triathlon.
This event features two distinct distances:
Kids Distances Ages 6-10 Ages 11-15
> Swim: 300 meters 400 meters
> Bike: 1.8 miles 3.50 miles
> Run: .85 miles 1.25 miles
This USA Triathlon sanctioned event is is open to children ages 6-15. The event is free of charge, although purchase of an annual USA Triathlon youth membership is required (current USAT annual members will have membership extended through 2015). If needed, one year scholarships are available for youth participants. A recommended donation of $25 per participant is also strongly encouraged.
Participants will receive a specially-designed finisher medal and training shirt, goodie bag, food and refreshments. Course maps will be posted prior to Race Week.
This event is made possible by a grant from the Transamerica Chicago Triathlon, Chicago 5th Ward Alderman Leslie Hairston, the Chicago Park District and through support of the entire Chicagoland endurance community. Triathletes, coaches and friends are asked to support Tri-Masters Sports Initiatives programs through both financial donations and via gently-used tri gear. Learn more at www.tri-masters.org.
Volunteers and support staff are welcome and encouraged. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready 2 Race Triathlon
by invitation only
This race is a hybrid event, combining the Tri-Masters Kids race with the 3rd Annual Ready 2 Race Invitational Tri - a dry run for select, first-time triathletes preparing for the Transamerica Chicago Triathlon in August.
This is not a race, rather, the perfect opportunity for you to experience real triathlon conditions -- without the typical race-day intimidation. Ready 2 Race participants will participate first, then volunteer during the Kids tri portion.
The Ready 2 Race event is available by invitation only to official charity participants of the Transamerica Chicago Triathlon and/or current members of Life Time Fitness. This event is free of charge and limited to 200 adult participants (ages 16+). Like the Kids' event, donations are recommended and all participants are asked to volunteer for the Kids' Tri until 11:30 AM.
A short-course triathlon venue will be created and available throughout the morning hours. Participants will be assigned specific start times. This short-course mock triathlon will consist of:
Adult Tri Distances
> Swim: 400 or 800 meters (2 loops)
> Bike: 5 or 10 miles (2 loops)
> Run: 2.5 miles
These distances allow endurance athletes of all levels to work within their current abilities, as well as test their race day packing, nutrition, apparel usage, transitions, pacing and general racing strategies.
This is an invitaton-only event. Participation must be authorized by an official Chicago Triathlon Charity Team Director, by Life Time Coach or Staff Member. RSVP accordingly using this system. Participants will be issued a specific wave start time. Start schedules and course maps will be distributed prior to Race Week.
Note: Remember, this is a race simulation. While you are encouraged to push yourselves, we certainly want to avoid taking unnecessary risks and the potential for injury. Please don’t expect to set any land speed records -- save that for race weekend!
READY 2 RACE ADULT TRIATHLON
- 6:30 AM Adult Packet Pick-up / Transition Opens - new times
- 7:20 AM Transition Closes / Participant Briefing
- 7:30 AM Swim Start
- 7:40 AM Last Swimmers Starts
- 8:30 AM First Finisher
- 9:00 AM Last Finisher
- 9:00 AM Volunteer Shift begins for Kids' Triathlon
- 11:30 AM Volunteer Shift concludes
TRI-MASTERS INVITATIONAL KIDS TRIATHLON
- 9:00 AM Kids Tri Packet Pick-up / Transition Opens
- 9:50 AM Transition Closes / Participant Briefing
- 10:00 AM Swim Start
- 10:30 AM Last Swimmer Starts
- 11:00 AM First Finisher
- 11:30 AM Last Finisher
- 11:45 AM Awards
- 12:00 PM Transition Closes
WHAT TO BRING / CHECKLIST
- Triathlon Apparel
- Goggles (swim caps will be provided)
- Wetsuit (optional)
- Helmet (mandatory)
- Bike Shoes/Socks
- Bike Tools (air pump, spare tubes)
- Running Shoes/Socks
- Sunscreen & BodyGlide / Lubricant
- Water Bottles (2)
- Transition Towel
- Race Belt (optional)
- Nutrition (food, gels and whatever you plan to use on race day)
- Dry Clothes (post race)
- Swim Caps
- Race Bibs (w/ safety pins)
- Transition Area Fluids (gallons water jugs)
- In-Water Lifeguards & Swim Coaches
- Bike & Run Course Marshals
- Light Bike Maintenance/Support
- Run Course Aid Station (1)
- Secured Transition Area w/ bike racks
- Course Maps & Cue Sheets
- On-Course Coach Support
- Finish Line Snacks & Fluids
- Awards (Kids Tri)
- Goodie Bags (Kids Tri)
- NOTE: Plan to arrive one hour prior to your start, allowing time check-in, setup transition, etc.
- PARKING: Metered parking is available in the 63rd Street Beach parking lot.
- CHECK-IN: Event registration, bike racks and transition areas will be setup in a secured area in front of the 63rd Street Beach House. Participants must be officially registered, and will be wristbanded upon check-in.
- TRANSITION: A secured Transition area will be setup in the grass field adjacent to the beach House, with dedicated racks for specific athletes/waves. Only registered participants and authorized guardians will be allowed within.
- THE SWIM: Both races will begin with wave swim starts. Swimmers will line up and start in waves based on swim cap color. The swim takes place in the shallow waters of Lake Michigan at 63rd Street Beach. Certified Lifeguards will be provided throughout the course.
- THE BIKE: The bike course is entirely held on the lakefront running path (not on city streets). This is an open-course to the public (runners, walkers and bikers) but will be supported with volunteers and cones marking the direction and in high-traffic areas. SAG support will be offered, with coaches/staff riding along the course. Cyclists will ride at their own pace and ability, and must obey typical pedestrial traffic rules at all times.
- RUN: The run course will feature a 2.4 mile open-course, marked loop which can be completed twice if preferred. Course marshals and signage will be positioned throughout the course. Course maps will be provided in advance.
- Adult Triathletes, plan to support the Kids race along with fellow coaches, staff and participants following your finish. A post race BBQ will be fired-up, with free food and drink for all.
- Endurance nutrition, including water, Gatorade, CLIF Bars and gels will be available throughout the day in the transition area.
- This event has a strict no-refund policy.
When & Where
This is the Transamerica Chicago Triathlon — where the world comes to race in, around and under this historic city’s architectural masterpieces. It’s where beginner and elite athletes alike come to be challenged, as well as inspired. It’s Chicago’s only triathlon, with 34 years of premier venues, premium amenities and awe inspiring spectating. It’s your chance to race this incredible city and include yourself in one of its greatest traditions.
Race weekend also includes the Chicago Triathlon SuperSprint and the Life Time Kids Tri Chicago, the largest youth triathlons in the world drawing more than 1,200 children ages 7–14 in itself.
For more information on the Chicago Triathlon, visit www.chicagotriathlon.com