Actions and Detail Panel
Transportation in Disaster Management
Tue, May 23, 2017, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM BST
Michael Broadbent is an independent consultant with long term experience in practice and more recently in higher education lecturing. His work assignments have included the planning, design, construction, maintenance and operation of transport infrastructure, both in the UK and overseas, and he has lectured on related engineering issues underpinning disaster management practices required for resilience and sustainability. The focus of this presentation will set out to demonstrate the importance of access tracks, roads, major highways, bridges and drainage structures for the effective delivery of disaster management preparedness, response and recovery activities. Michael will share some of his experiences and explore some of the broad issues in his presentation, which will cover:
• A general introduction to disaster management concepts and principles.
• The importance of preparedness for the management of emergencies and disasters.
• UK transport issues relevant to disaster management.
• Some international transport issues relevant to disaster management.
• A vision of the future role for disaster management in transportation.