San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
TrackHack™: the Proximity ID Hackathon is the first-ever hackathon focused solely on the proximity ID technologies that power the Internet of Things. Whether radio frequency identification (RFID), Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and beacons, or near field communication (NFC), these proximity ID technologies, merged with cloud-based applications enable complete interaction between the physical and digital worlds. We are looking for developers, designers, idea folks, and pitch masters to conjure up the best proximity id applications possible.
- Friday 6pm-9pm - FORMING AND STORMING - Registration, idea pitches, team forming.
- Friday 9pm - Participants can stay, start hacking, hangout all night.
- Saturday 8am - Doors open, breakfast.
- Saturday 9am - Project entries due on TrackHack portal. HACKING BEGINS
- Saturday 12pm - Lunch. Sponsor presentations.
- Saturday 4pm - Stretch break.
- Saturday 8pm - Dinner. Organizer presentations.
- Saturday 12am - Caffeine break.
- Sunday 4am - Towel Hour.
- Sunday 8am - Doors open, breakfast.
- Sunday 9am - Project demo videos due on TrackHack portal. HACKING ENDS
- Sunday 9am-12pm - Theater doors open. A/V testing. Pitch practice.
- Sunday 12pm - Lunch in Theater. Welcome judges.
- Sunday 2pm - TEAM PRESENTATIONS. 5min setup. 2min pitch/demo. 5min Q/A.
- Sunday 4pm - Judges deliberations. Winners announced.
- Sunday 5pm - Closing remarks.
- Build something using proximity ID technologies.
- Don’t build something you’ve made before.
- At least two people per team, but no more than four.
- You’ll need to show a live demo on stage.
- Show us how you did it, leave no doubt the work is yours.
- Your project will be made public on our site.
- Grant our sponsors Right of First Refusal to acquire your idea.
- 1st place - £3282 or $5000
- 2nd place - £2298 or $3500
- 3rd place - £985 or $1500
- Working Solution - Hack uses proximity ID tech and live demo works. (25%)
- Technical Merit - Challenges overcome during build are clear and noteworthy. (25%)
- Originality - Hack brings something novel to life. (20%)
- Business Case - Hack built with a business model in mind. (15%)
- Look and Feel - Apealing UI and an easy user experience. (15%)
Do you provide any travel reimbursement?
We're still working with sponsors to get the event fully funded so can't promise any reimbursement at this time. If things change as we approach the event (as they sometimes do), then we will be able to offer things like reimbursing travel. TBD.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
The space is limited. Hardware should be kept to a minimum to avoid clutter. Things like laptops, screens, handheld power tools, soldering stations, power strips, and HDMI cables are good things to bring. Review our master list of everything we'll have on site. Meanwhile, you can review pictures and other details of the space here.
I missed the developer call, is there a recording?
We got your back. View the session here (compressed and split into 3 parts):
Part 2 - UGrokIt, PunchThrough, and Omni-ID
Part 3 - HID Global, SerialIO, and ACS
The developer call was originally 1 hour and 20 minutes long. Since YouTube limits uploads to 15 minute long videos, it would have been 6 parts and we thought this was excessive to navigate through during the hackathon. So we opted to compress them while maintaining intelligibility. The normal speed version is no longer available, sorry :(.
When & Where
AccelerateNFC and Flomio
About AccelerateNFC (www.acceleratenfc.com) — AccelerateNFC is a technology-specific, idea incubator/seed accelerator for high potential companies in the Proximity ID space. Accelerate NFC focuses on near field communication (NFC) and other proximity ID technologies like Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). We bring industry expertise, mentors, resources and funding to those companies who are ready to take their ideas and products to the next level. Up to five selected companies will participate in an intensive 12-week mentoring program designed to provide access to resources normally beyond the reach of start-up or early stage companies.
About Flomio (www.flomio.com) —Disney’s Magic Band™ technology revolutionized their theme park business. Companies eager to “Disney-fy” their businesses without their own team of imagineers and billions to invest turn to Flomio, imagineers for the rest of us. Flomio creates proximity ID solutions that help enterprise clients and developers cross the chasm to web 3.0, the Internet of Things (IoT). Funded by TechStars, Flomio is fundamentally changing the way people engage with the spaces around them by making proximity ID simple to integrate, easy to deploy, and fun to use. Soon, 50 billion devices will regularly connect to the internet. Flomio’s platform empowers enterprise customers and developers to create applications that communicate with these devices. The future is ubiquitous connectivity. Flomio makes sure businesses get there first.