San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Tour
For more than 200 years, Yankee ingenuity and craftmanship have been the keys to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard's success. Learn about its role and achievements in times of war and peace from a submariner's perspective.
Your host, Gary Hildreth, is a retired submariner with a 29-year naval career. The itinerary for this tour includes a history lecture followed by a lunch break in the shipyard cafeteria, a narrated windshield tour of the facility (NO sub tours), and a stop at the shipyard's museum.
ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED; TOUR IS OPEN TO US CITIZENS ONLY. Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Portsmouth shipyard; and lunch is not included in the ticket price.
Directions to the meeting location will be emailed to participants.
When & Where
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum offers a myriad of opportunities to explore Maine’s maritime heritage and culture and to experience the mystique of Maine.
Visitors can find:
- -fascinating exhibits brimming with art and artifacts
- -contemporary, interactive areas for children and adults
- -an historic shipyard with five of the original 19th century buildings
- -a Victorian-era shipyard owners home
- -an active waterfront
- -a life-size sculptural representation of the largest wooden sailing vessel ever built
- -a scenic campus on the bank of the Kennebec River