Actions and Detail Panel
Tools for Tough Conversations and Stuck Situations: Go NoCo
Sat, January 7, 2017, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM PST
We all want to feel greater ease and joy in our lives, to reduce suffering and be healthy. We want to be connected to other people. We want to feel successful in whatever we decide to take on. And yet we all (or nearly all) engage in an unconscious habit that works directly against all of this: We complain.
Did you know that complaining worsens stress, depression, and anxiety - whether you say those complaints out loud or not? It can erode your relationships in love, with family, and at work. Habitual complaining reinforces problems and can keep you from seeing solutions, making it harder to bounce back when life events crush you (recent events come to mind). It can even keep you from seeing what is good in your life, let alone enjoy it.
And yet even knowing that complaining is destructive, many people find it hard to quit. This workshop will give you the insights and the tools to help make No Complaining a daily practice, a.k.a. "Going NoCo."
Make 2017 the year you stop simply waiting for things to get better, or tolerating them when they don't. Learn to address the things that bother you even when doing that sounds hard. Now more than ever, it's important to recognize when avoiding a difficult conversation or situation is the root cause of a persistent complaint, and learn how to address it instead. It's time to get clear about our impact on others, break destructive patterns, and identify our unconscious behaviors that push others away - especially when we're hurting. It's time to expand our capacity to empathize and resolve the obstacles that get in the way of connecting.
This workshop includes lectures and exercises that will teach you new tools:
- You'll gain insight about why people complain and its impact.
- You'll start to recognize habitual and unconscious complaint patterns and what keeps them in place.
- You'll explore what you can do to interrupt destructive communications.
- You'll identify what makes you reactive, and what to do when you're at the edge.
- You'll learn to identify barriers in your relationships with others.
- You'll practice breaking bad habits and will set up new ones that support a healthier, more connected, kinder and more joyful life.
- You'll get tools for broaching difficult topics in any arena of your life.
- And you'll even learn a bit about the science that backs up all of this.
- Saturday, January 7 2017
- $85 per person (Discounts available. See ticket page.)
- In SF's Mission District, at Brava Theater Center, in the Studio
- Wheelchair accessible
- Course designed for adults, but teenagers can benefit
I started the No Complaining Project in 2009 after spending years tackling my own complaining patterns. Through personal practice, research, and teaching others, I've found that the simple (and yet not easy) decision to Go NoCo is like a lever that unlocks paths to emotional health, greater resilience, a sense of personal power, and stronger relationships. I am continually surprised by the deep and lasting changes that happen in people's lives once they take on this practice, and am excited to share what I've learned with you.
Thanks for Going NoCo and taking another step towards a healing yourself, your relationships, and your world!
For more information on all aspects of complaining and what to do about it, head over to www.GoNoCo.com
If you want to attend but find it difficult financially, email email@example.com