Third Annual NAMI Parent & Caregiver Conference
Saturday, February 11, 2017 from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM (PST)
3rd Annual NAMI Parent and Caregiver Conference
Saturday, February 11, 2017 at St. Anne's Center in Los Angeles
A one day conference featuring speakers, a panel of experts, and round table discussions and workshops for parents and caregivers who have a loved one with mental health condition of any age.
- Jonathan E. Sherin, M.D., Ph.D., Los Angeles County Director of Mental Health
- Looking Ahead
- Steve Pitman J.D., President, NAMI National Board
- Sandy Banks, Mental Health Advocate, Journalist, former L. A. Times columnist
- Finding Hope & Health Along the Journey
- Panel Presentation - Tool Box of Communication Moderator, Helena Ditko, LCSW , Los Angeles County Dept. of Mental Health
- How can we equip caretakers with the communication tools they need? Our panel will cover some of the family experience, the treatment experience and resources are helpful and available.
Roundtable Discussions over lunch:
- Caring for Ourselves
- Why I chose LPS Conservatorship
- Communication Tips - (English & Spanish)
- My Family Member has been Arrested
- Advocating for Care in Crisis - (English & Spanish)
- Navigating the Dept. of Mental Health
- Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of Mental Illness - Lora Illig, ExecutiveDirector, NAMI Pomona Valley and Leola Johnson, NAMI Antelope Valley, NAMI State Trainer
- Patients Rights' - Jaime Walker, Health Program Analyst, Los Angeles County Dept. of Mental Health
- Trauma Informed Care - Celeste H. Ryan, Ph.D., Juvenile Justice Mental Health Program Coordinator, Los Angeles County Dept. of Mental Health
- Creating a Community of Care to Heal Hidden Wounds - Gail Soffer, Founder, Executive Director
Is there a cost for the conference?
Tickets are $10.00 for the conference, parking and buffet lunch.
- If you are registered and paying at the door, please pay by cash or check made payable to: NAMI LACC.
If you are unable financially to pay the $10.00 fee - click scholarships option. There are a limited number of scholarships available.
I do not have young children should I come?
- Yes, there will be topics of interest to those with loved ones of all ages.
Will there be interpretation services offered?
Yes, there will be interpretation service provided for most of the sessions.
¿Se ofrecerán servicios de interpretación?
- Sí, habrá interpretación y talleres en español.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- Valet parking will be provided by St. Anne's.
- There is handicap parking in the main parking lot near the entrance.
- Nearest bus route on Beverly Blvd -14/37 - 1/2 block off Beverly, to St. Anne's and short walk to: 155 N. Occidental St. Los Angeles
- St. Anne's is in between Temple and Beverly.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Letty Baldaro - 818.645.4159 (text friendly) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Para preguntas en español, por favor póngase en contacto con Sylvia al email@example.com. .
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
- Yes - you can give your ticket to someone else. If you can go back on line and make the change that would be helpful or email Letty@namilaccc.org.
- Your printed registration ticket will help in the check in process the morning of the conference; however it is okay if you do not bring it.
Will there be vegetarian options for lunch?
- We are offering a box lunch. Grilled veggie sandwich will be the option for vegetarians.
Are there any volunteer opportunities the day of the conference?
- Yes if you are intersted in helping with registration, sponsor table set up and other needed areas - please let Letty know @ firstname.lastname@example.org
When & Where
Letty Baldaro, In Our Own Voice & Education Coordinator, NAMI Los Angeles County Council
NAMI Los Angeles County Council (LACC) is the leading countywide organization composed of grassroots-based affiliates that promotes health, equality and dignity for those affected by mental illness. We provide leadership in advocacy, legislation, policy development, education and support throughout Los Angeles County.